title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Mattock and Spade

photo
NAME MATTOCK AND SPADE
ADDRESS 16 JORDAN WELL
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 17 JORDAN WELL

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 1835 MATTOCK AND SPADE
1835 1850 BEERHOUSE
1850 1940 MATTOCK AND SPADE
The mattock is an agricultural implement of pick shape, with an adze and a chisel edge as ends of the head. Hence it goes with a spade as an agricultural sign.

In 1835 and 1850 this is the BEERHOUSE, Jordan Well It closed on 15.11.1940

Known Licensees at the MATTOCK & SPADE are;
1822 - 1835 William Barnacle
1835 - 1850 Beerhouse period (see below)
1868 David Barnacle
1871 Daniel Barnacle
1874 - 1886 Winifred Barnacle
1890 - 1896 C. H. Phillips
1903 - 1905 J. Brown
1909 - 1934 William H. Barnacle
1935 - 1936 F. E. Eatwell
1937 - 1938 A. T. Jones
1939 - 1940 C. Morris

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1835 - 1850 William Barnacle

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.