title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Lord Aylesford

photo

The only known photograph of the Lord Aylesford Inn, where Coventry City FC was founded. The photo was provided by Alma Wager, daughter-in-law of Clement Wager, who became the pub’s licensee in 1936.

It is thought the photograph shows Clement standing proudly in the doorway on the day he took over. The pub was destroyed in the Coventry Blitz in 1940 and is now the site of the Aylesford Intermediate Care Centre.

NAME LORD AYLESFORD
ADDRESS 20 AYLESFORD STREET

Lord Aylesford was the owner of Packington Park near Meriden.

On 30th August 1861 a new license was granted to John Davis for Lord Aylesford, andthe pub had a brewing house, several outbuildings and a yard, and the interior comprised a bar, lounge and a smoke room .The pub was destroyed by enemy action in 1940.

After the Blitz, the site became subject to local authority planning control and Atkinson’s Brewery complied with a compulsory purchase order that was issued in 1958. Possession of the land was finally taken by the local authority on January 23, 1961.

Known Licensees are;
1861 John Davis
1868 D. Haunch
1868 James Trickett
1874 M. Edwards
1879 Joseph Thomas
1881 Ellen Matthews
1883 George Wale
1886 G. Chapman
1890 - 1891 J. G. Elkington
1893 C. Stafford
1894 Mrs Lucy E. Stafford
1896 J. H. George
1903 - 1936 Charles M. McGowran
1937 - 1940 Clement E. Wager
+ -
Click here to see Research

Name - Wikipedia Earl of Aylesford, in the County of Kent, is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain. It was created in 1714 for the lawyer and politician Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Aylesford. Heneage Finch, 1st Baron

Guernsey. He had already been created Baron Guernsey in 1703. Finch was the younger son of Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Nottingham and the great-grandson of Elizabeth Heneage,

1st Countess of Winchilsea. Lord Aylesford's eldest son, the second Earl, represented Maidstone in Parliament. In 1712 he married Mary Fisher, daughter of Sir Clement Fisher, 3rd Baronet. Through this marriage Packington Hall, Warwickshire, came into the Finch family. Their son, the third Earl, sat as a Member of Parliament for Leicestershire and Maidstone. His eldest son, the fourth Earl, represented Castle Rising in the British House of Commons, and after entering the British House of Lords on his father's death,

served as Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard from 1783 to 1804 and as Lord Steward of the Household from 1804 to 1812.

1887 COC Inn signs

30.8.1861 JA16 CS New license granted to John Davis

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 LORD AYLESFORD, Aylesford Street Alehouse
Owner : Richard Watson, Pailton
later James Meaking, Bedworth
later Charles Stafford
later Atkinson Ltd
Licensee : Joseph Ashley
7.11.1878 TOL to Joseph Thomas
19.3.1880 TOL to Edwin Matthews
20.1.1881 TOL to Helen Matthews
24.4.1881 TOL to George Chapman
1.6.1882 TOL to George Wale
1.11.1883 TOL to William Martin
10.3.1887 TOL to Thomas James Elkington
14.4.1892 TOL to Charles Stafford
21.11.1894 TOL to Lucy Emma Stafford
23.12.1894 TOL to Thomas Samuel Yardley
11.4.1895 TOL to Jonathan George
5.1.1899 TOL to Charles Mitchell McGovern
13.10.1873 fined 20/- & costs house open Sunday trading
21.12.1873 fined 40/- & costs house open Sunday trading
25.5.1876 fined £ 5 house open Sunday trading & license endorsed
26.11.1884 fined 10/- house open

1940 JA16 Destoryed by enemy action

LICENSEES

30.8.1861 JA16 CS John Davis
1868 Buchanan D. Haunch
23.11.1868 Lantern James Trickett
1874 C&B H. Edwards

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Ashley
7.11.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Ashley
7.11.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Thomas
1879 Stevens Joseph Thomas

19.3.1880 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Thomas
19.3.1880 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Edwin Matthews

20.1.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Edwin Matthews

20.1.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Helen Matthews

1881 C&B Ellen Matthews
24.4.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Helen Matthews

24.4.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 George Chapman

1.6.1882 LJ Vol 1 P 2 George Chapman

1.6.1882 LJ Vol 1 P 2 George Wale

1.11.1883 LJ Vol 1 P 2 George Wale

1.11.1883 LJ Vol 1 P 2 William Martin

1886 C&B J. Chapman

10.3.1887 LJ Vol 1 P 2 William Martin

10.3.1887 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Thomas James Elkington

1890/91 R&G J. B. Elkington

14.4.1892 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Thomas James Elkington
14.4.1892 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Charles Stafford
1893 Reporter C. Stafford

21.11.1894 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Charles Stafford
21.11.1894 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Lucy Emma Stafford
1894 R&G Mrs Lucy E. Stafford

23.12.1894 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Lucy Emma Stafford

23.12.1894 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Thomas Samuel Yardley
11.4.1895 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Thomas Samuel Yardley

11.4.1895 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Jonathan George

1896 R&G J. H. George

5.1.1899 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Charles Mitchell McGovern

1903 R&G C. M. McGowran

1905 R&G C. M. McGowran

1909 R&G C. M. McGowran

1911/12 Spennell Charles M. McGowran

1912/13 Spennell Charles M. McGowran

1919 Spennell Charles McGowran

1921/22 Spennell C. McGowran

1924 P. James C. M. McGowran

1926/27 P. James C. M. McGowran

1929 P. James C. M. McGowran

1931/32 P. James C. M. McGowran

1933/34 P. James C. M. McGowran

1935/36 P. James C. M. McGowran

1937/38 P. James Clement E. Wager

1939/40 P. James C. E. Wager

OWNERS

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Richard Watson, Pailton
later James Meaking, Bedworth
later Charles Stafford
later Atkinson Ltd

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.