|ADDRESS||48 SPON STREET|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1850||SPON STREET BREWERY & LIQUOR VAULTS|
|1861||1868||BOARD, 48 Spon Street|
|1871||1929||EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS|
|Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
In 1850 John Soden is brewing at the Spon Street Brewery and Liquor Vaults at this address and in 1860 Mrs J. Soden. In 1866 Edward John Hollins is known to have been brewing on the site.
From 1874 this was the EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS
|Known Licensees are;
1868 Edward John Hollins
1871 Maria Brown
1874 Tom Powell
1879 - 1881 Mrs Ellen Elizabeth Powell
1886 W. R. Taylor
1890 - 1905 S. Yeaomans
1909 F. H. Makepeace
1911 - 1912 Thomas Broughton
1912 - 1913 William Anstee
1919 - 1929 Walter James Kenney
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.