title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Leicester Inn


This name probably refers to the fact that the pub stands on a route to Leicester, although it may also refer to the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester and favourite courtier of Elizabeth I.

In 1854 an inquest was held here. In the same year William Howe, brickmaker, mortgaged the pub to John Ralphs and Joseph Cash. In 1870 the executors of Joseph Cash sold the pub to W. Ratliff for £375. It remained a Ratliffs pub until 1899 when Ratliffs was taken over by Phillips and Marriott who valued the pub at £2500.

It changed from the Leicester Inn to the Leicester Arms around 1912.

It closed in 1940 due to enemy action.

Known Licensees are;
1868 Frederick Smith
1871 - 1874 Thomas Cockerell
1879 - 1919 William Pickard
1919 - 1924 Hannah Maria Pickard
1926 - 1929 Mrs M. S. Pickard
1931 - 1932 C. H. Parkes
1933 - 1938 R. Orrell
1939 - 1940 T. B. Martin
1940 William Smith (see also Turks Head, Silver Street 1940 - 1961)
1854 William Howe, brickmaker
1870 - 1899 Ratliff
1899 Phillips & Marriott

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN This sign refers to the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, the favourite courtier of Elizabeth I.

c1800 COC Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem as the ' Lester '

15.8.1854 JA16 CS Inquest at Leicester Inn

26.10.1854 JA40 William Howe, brickmaker, mortgaged premises to John Ralphs and Joseph Cash.

21.3.1863 JA40 John Ralphs died

3.1.1870 JA40 Joseph Cash ( senior ) died. By his will of 13.12.1866 he appointed as executors his sons Joseph Cash and his wife Sarah.

29.3.1870 JA40 The executors sold the Leicester Inn to W. Ratliff for £ 375, tenanted by Thomas Cockerill, which William Howe had built on a plot of 207 square yards fronting the Coventry - Stoney Stanton Turnpike for 26 feet 4 inches

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P10 LEICESTER INN, Stoney Stanton Road Alehouse
Owner : William Ratliff, Coventry
Licensee : Thomas Cockerill
7.11.1878 TOL to William Pickard

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

to 1899 P&M PR Owned by Ratliff

from 1899 P&M PR Owned by Phillips & Marriott

30.9.1899 P&M PR Value £ 2500

1912 OS Map

by 1912 JA16 Called Leicester Arms

1940 JA16 Closed due to enemy action


1868 Buchanan F. Smith

23.11.1868 Lantern Frederick Smith

1871 Census Thomas Cockerill 49 yo b Sawbridge m Marya, 47 & 1s, 1 servant

1874 C&B T. Cockerill

1878 LJ Vol1 P10 Thomas Cockerill
1878 LJ Vol1 P10 William Pickard
1879 Stevens William Pickard

1881 C&B William Pickard

1886 C&B William Pickard

1890/91 R&G William Pickard

1893 Reporter William Pickard

1894 R&G William Pickard

1896 R&G William Pickard

9.3.1900 P&M PR William Pickard

1903 R&G William Pickard

1905 R&G William Pickard
1906 LJ Vol1 P10 William Pickard
1909 R&G William Pickard

1.6.1910 P&M PR William Pickard new agreement

1911/12 Spennell William Pickard

1912/13 Spennell William Pickard

1919 Spennell William Pickard Arms

11.7.1919 P&M PR Hannah Maria Pickard

1921/22 Spennell H. M. Pickard

22.5.1922 P&M PR William Pickard

1924 P. James H. M. Pickard

1926/27 P. James Mrs M. S. Pickard Arms

1929 P. James Mrs M. S. Pickard "

1931/32 P. James C. H. Parkes

1933/34 P. James R. Orrell

1935/36 P. James R. Orrell

1937/38 P. James R. Orrell

1939/40 P. James T. B. Martin

1940 Lee - website William Smith


1854 JA40 William Howe, brickmaker,

1870 JA40 W. Ratliff

1878 LJ Vol1 P10 William Ratliff, Coventry
1899 P&M PR Ratliff
1899 P&M PR Owned by Phillips & Marriott

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.