A postcard featuring the old Market Tower and a rare view of Market Place, which led through from where Broadgate and Cross Cheaping met to the tower, where you could turn left and take Market Street back to Smithford Street. If we are interpreting the map below correctly, The White Rose is on the left and The Lamp Tavern is on the second corner to the left in the distance. Photo courtesy of Rob Orland
|ADDRESS||23 MARKET STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||20, 23 MARKET PLACE|
Was this pub named after a particular lamp? There were two on the market hall opposite. Our first record of this pub is on 26th January 1838 when it was advertised to let. On 5th May 1865 the license was transferred from J. Skelton to J. Snape.
William 'Paddy' Gill, the licensee in the 1860's was famed as a prizefighter. When he retired from the ring he settled into family life and spent some of his earnings on buying the Lamp Tavern. A few years later he was declared insane and put into Hatton Asylum where he died aged 50 in 1889. The pub closed in 1940 due to enemy action.
|Known Licensees are;
1838? W. Skelton
to 1865 J. Skelton
from 1865 J. Snape
1867 - 1869 William 'Paddy' Gill
1871 Robert P. Barber
1874 - 1891 Robert Cooper
1891 - 1898 Mrs. Mary Jane Cooper (see also City Arms, Earlsdon)
1898 Charles Henry Welch
1903 - 1905 G. E. Taylor
1909 H. Doughen
1911 - 1913 Thomas E. Hands
1919 - 1922 George T. Ayres
1924 - 1927 E. Sale
1931 - 1932 W. J. Webb
1933 - 1936 W. Hewitt
1937 - 1938 J. D. Stone
1939 - 1940 W. Lenton
1878 - 1898 Edward Greenfield Doggett, St Peters Hospital, Bristol; sublet to Ind Coope & Co, Burton on Trent
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.