Kings Head Inn c1860. This photo was taken from the corner of High Street and Broadgate - to which the cobblestones on the right belong. The policeman wearing a top-hat there is facing into Hertford Street and the street running off into the distance is Smithford Street which was once half of Coventry's main east-west thoroughfare.
|NAME||KINGS HEAD INN
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||KINGS HEAD HOTEL|
|ADDRESS||3 SMITHFORD STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||HERTFORD STREET|
|The head usually shown on signs is that of Henry VIII but at least eight other monarchs have been shown. Sometimes there are different kings on each side of the sign board.
An inn probably stood here from the middle ages: 15th century cellars were discovered in the 1930's. In 1532 we have a rental by Trinity Guild to William Lynde for the Kynges Hed. In the 18th. century, coaches left from the Kings Head every evening at 11.30 p.m. to reach London at 4.00 the following morning. As Hertford Street was not built until 1812, at this time Smithford Street ran from Whitefriars Lane to Fleet Street and the Kings Head was one of a number of large inns that lined its route, including the Green Dragon, Bull and the Ram, as shown on Bradford's map of 1748.
Throughout the 18th century 'ordinaries', that is set dinners, were held at the Kings Head following Coventry Races. In 1756 General Stewart's 37th Regiment of Foot were billeted in Coventry and the Kings Head took more than anywhere else, eight officers and six men, which implies that it was the largest premises in the city.
During the 19th century the Kings Head had its quota of famous visitors. In 1802 Lord Nelson, accompanied by Sir William and Lady Hamilton and others, alighted at the Kings Head unannounced. The Mayor and populace rushed to greet them. In 1808 the exiled Louis XVIII of France stayed there as did the Duke of Wellington in 1823.
In 1812 Hertford Street was laid out to relieve congestion in the very narrow Greyfriars Lane. The premises on the corner of Hertford Street and Smithford Street became a shop owned by antiquarian, Thomas Sharp, and it is here we meet a familiar local figure, Peeping Tom. The statue used as Peeping Tom has been around in Coventry for over three and a half centuries but started out life in the guise of a much nobler figure... St. George! He is a carved wooden figure in Elizabethan armour, who has been used to represent Peeping Tom since at least 1659, when he looked out of a window in Cross Cheaping. In 1678 he was moved to Greyfriars Lane and in 1775 to the shop in Smithford Street. When Hertford Street was constructed in 1812, he got his very own corner window.
In the 19th century the Kings Head Inn was the election headquarters of the Tory Party. At this time Coventry was a 'closed council' and very few citizens had the right to vote. As there were so few voters, both Tories and Whigs used violence to try to coerce the 'correct' result. In the election of 1832, there was mass fighting and the Tory supporters retreated to the Kings Head, which was said to have resembled a slaughterhouse. The event became known as the 'Bloody Tenth'. This resulted in the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835, under which voting was extended to all freemen and property owners. Coventry lost its status as a County and political debate replaced mass brawling.
In 1853 a company was formed to build a corn exchange which until then had been held in the open in Broadgate. The Kings Head was purchased for £6500 and a part of the outbuildings facing Hertford Street were pulled down and replaced with the new Corn Exchange.
In 1863 the Kings Head was commemorated in verse (doggerel might be more accurate):
When next at Coventry I stopped to dine
At the Kings Head, a house ne'er known to fail
In Worcester cyder and in Shropshire ale.
The cutlets came, rich and well done and smoking:
The host came too, a man much given to joking:
And read of old a wondrous tale.
Interesting that they were selling Worcester cider and Shropshire ale at that time.
King's Head Hotel on the corner of Smithford Street and Hertford Street here in 1927...
|The Kings Head itself was demolished in the 1870's and a new Kings Head extending round the corner into Hertford Street was opened by Christmas 1879. This is when the figure of Peeping Tom acquired its niche on the fourth floor of the Kings Head. It is probably also the date when the Kings Head Inn became the Kings Head Hotel. The ground floor was occupied by Dunns Outfitters so the corner became known as 'Dunns corner'.We have a copy of a brochure for the Kings Head Hotel c1880. It states, 'This commodious Hotel, which has been recently rebuilt and greatly enlarged, from plans furnished by Mr. George Taylor, Architect of the City, and erected by Mr. James Marriott, Contractor, is now open for the reception of guests'.
The Public Luncheon Bar was opened on 20th December 1879 with bar and cabinet fittings of substantial character and elaborate design, the work of Samuel Mason of Birmingham. The windows were by W. G. Fretton of Coventry. There was a wholesale wine and spirits department and the Kings Head Tap stood on Vicar Lane with a bar and smoke room suitably furnished and an upstairs room for clubs or meetings. This must be the KINGS HEAD BAR, which we have given a separate page.
In 1909 the hotel was acquired by Max Meinhardt, a man with a somewhat Germanic name. So it is not surprising, given the climate of the day, that from 1911 the licensee is always given as 'The Kings Head Hotel Co. Ltd'.
Following the end of the Great War throughout Europe, as soldiers returned home and were demobbed, they found themselves unemployed in countries with financial problems and raging inflation. There was widespread rioting in Britain and revolution abroad. In July 1919, Peace Processions were held in Britain. On Saturday 19th July, following the Peace Procession in Coventry, at 11.30 p.m., a mob appeared in Broadgate and attacked Dunns shop on the ground floor of the Kings Head and also the Black Cat Cafe and Restaurant, in the belief that they were both owned by Germans. The Black Cat was in fact owned by a Mr. Heinmann, who advertised in the Midland Daily Telegraph that he was Danish and married to an Englishwoman. It seems that Max Meinhardt could issue no such assurance and the Kings Head was again attacked on Sunday night. The rioting spread to the city centre in general, including the Talbot and City Hotel. So on Monday the Lord Mayor issued a curfew ordering all people off the streets after 9 p.m., which had the desired effect, and peace was restored. So ended one of the darker episodes in Coventry's history.
In 1934 Peeping Tom was taken into the hotel. The intention was to place a copy in the outside niche whilst the original was restored. This never happened and the Luftwaffe did what the rioters had failed to do: it destroyed the hotel in the blitz of 1940. In its place stands Broadgate House. Tom survived the hotel and later appeared in the replacement for the Kings Head - the Hotel Leofric. Now he stands in a glass case in Cathedral Lanes. He has outlived the Kings Head, the blitz and we bet he outlives the Hotel Leofric too!
...and here just before the war in 1939. It was totally destroyed in the blitz of 1940
A different Peeping Tom is now not far away from the window of that Hotel ; an animated one watches over Lady Godiva as she parades around the "Godiva Clock", on the hour - every hour, in the 1950's rebuilt Broadgate. The accurate clock movement inside was salvaged from the old Market Tower which dominated the city centre skyline until its demolition after the Second World War.
|Known Licensees are;
1532 - 1533 William Lynde
1776 Richard Richards
1776 Thomas Soden
1805 Henry Butterworth
1845 - 1848 James Williamson
1848 - 1851 Charles Sabin
1861 William P. Merry
1868 - 1874 Miss Mary Ann Sabin
1881 A. Prior
1890 - 1891 Miss Scoley
1893 - 1896 G. F. Spencer
1903 W. Baker
1905 T. C. Bird
1909 Max Otto Meinhardt
1911 - 1940 Kings Head Hotel Co. Ltd
1532 - 1533 Trinity Guild
1703 - 1704 E. Owen senior
1703 - 1704 W. Hethersett & J. Sharpe
See Lost Pubs 25
COC P44 Hostelry posibly stood here from middle ages
1532 - 33 JA34 Trinity Guild Rental
Smythforde Streit item William Lynde for the Kynges Hed
iii vis viiid
18th century COCIP P12 The Kings Head in Smithford Street for example ran coaches every evening at 11.30 p.m. to reach London at 4.00 a.m. the following day.
? Source 34 P74 ....while for those of the Whig persuasion, the ' Star ' in Earls Street where Monmouth once tarried, and the ' Kings Head ' , were chosen places of resort.
2-3.1703-04 CR 309/85 Coveyed to W. Hethersett and J. Sharpe by E. Owen senior
( occupied by Ralph Phillips and H. Cockman ) in marriage settlement for his son E. Owen junior's marriage to Elizabeth Hethersett.
1708 JA10 Wilson Fellowship of bakers moved to Kings Head, Smithford Street
JA34 CET 1955
1743 JA10 Wilson Groceries and drapery sold at the Kings Head, Smithford Street, on certain days.
1748 - 49 Bradford Before the building of Hertford Street
12.8.1755 Poole P399 Races in Coventry Park. Ordinaries were held at the Bull and Rose and Crown Inn and at the Kings Head and Mermaid.
1756 Alderman Hewitt 8 officers and 6 men billeted
1756 COVHG P82 In his journals Hewitt noted the arrival in 1756 of 600 soldiers whom he was responsible for billeting. This included ten officers, who were billeted at the Kings Head.
26.8.1760 Poole P400 Races in Coventry Park. The ordinaries were held at the Kings head and Black Bull Inns. There was also an ordinary at the Kings Head for cockers.
8.1766 Poole P400 Races in Coventry Park. The ordinaries were held at the Kings Head, White Bear and Bull.
14-15.1.1776 CR 101/1/285 Occupied by Richard Richards and after by Thomas Soden
12.1.1778 JA38 JCM Edward East, saddler & cap - maker begs leave to acquaint his friends and the public at large that he is removed from his late dwelling-house at the Spotted Horse, nearly opposite Broadgate end, to a convenient one, situate opposite the Kings head in High Street.
1778 COC P47 Richard Pigot, alia Benjamin Tusky, set fire to the stables.
9.1783 Poole P401 Races in Coventry Park. Ordonaries held at the KIngs Head and White Bear.
22.5.1794 CR 34
1799 COVHG Illustration
Peeping Tom in shop
c1800 COC P41 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem
3.9.1802 Poole P408 Lord Nelson, accompanied by Sir William and Lady Hamilton, and other friends, arrived in this city, and alighted at the Kings Head Inn, met with the hearty acclamations of the inhabitants, the Mayor and Corporation waited on the gallant hero, who gave them a polite reception.
1802 COVHG P82 .....On 3rd Spertember 1802, was Lord Nelson, accompanied by lady Hamilton and her husband. The surprise visit caught the Council unaware and they rushed to meet his carriage as it arrived at the Kings Head.
1802 SOC P161 welcoming the naval hero, Horatio, Lord Nelson, who stayed overnight at the King's Head Inn in Smithford Street n 1802, accompanied by his paramour, Lady Hamilton and her cickold husband, Sir William.
1808 COVHG P85 .....visitor was the exiled Louis XVIII of France, who stayed at the Kings Head in 1808. He was finally placed back on the throne of France by the Duke of Wellingtom, who himself stayed at the Kings Head in 1823.
1812 HOC Hertford Street laid out
8.10.1817 CR 101/1/385 Sale of bankrupt's goods which included the Old Sword and Mace.
28.11.1823 Poole P410 The Duke of Wellington breakfasted at the Kings Head Inn, Coventry, on his return from a shooting excursion at Beaudesert, the seat of the Marquis of Anglesea.
1829 TRE P44 .....and at the Kings Head Rooms in High Street there wass a musical entertainment on offer, even though the theatre was dark at the time.
15.4.1830 CR 191/1/389 Bankrupt sale
1832 CIC P44 Tory HQ at election time. Notable riot this year.
1832 HOC P212 The election of 1832 began with a huge mob escorting Ellice and Bulwer to the hustings. When Messrs Fyler and Thomas tries to walk from the Kings Head to the booth they and their small band of supporters were assaulted and unable yo get access until the ' specials ' came to their assisstance......mass fighting ensued. Randle's mob won the day, many of their opponents being stripped and beaten. Many more fled back to the Kings Head, which was said to resemble a slaughterhouse. The event became known as the ' Bloody Tenth '.
HOC P213 Photo
4.3.1834 CSubs P128 At Stoke Races on 4 March 1834 the first race took place at 12 p.m.
( sic ) followed by races every half hour except the race for a silver cup. A meal for the winners was held in Coventry at the Kings Head Hotel.
1835 ? COVHG P87 The Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 led to the end of the closed council which had been in existence since 1621. The council was now open to any freemen or property owner and new elections were called. During these parliamentary elections known as the Bloody Tenth, hundreds of Tory and Whig supporters fought running battles in the streets. The Tories were driven into the Kings Head, their election headquarters, the yard of which was described as having ' the appearance of a slaughterhouse '. This was the last of the old notorious city elections and soon politics superseeded violence.
28.12.1837 CR 101/7/143 Bill and receipt for Robert Burney's funral dinner at the Kings Head.
23.3.1848 JA62 CH&O Transfer of license from James Williamson to Charles Sabin
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
1854 CAIW Photo 26 - before rebuiding
1858 Poole P328-9 In 1853 a company was formed for the promotion of a corn exchange, up to which time Friday's corn market had been held in Broadgate, opposite the Castle Inn, the company acquires the site by the purchase of the whole of the Kings Head property in Smithford Stret for £ 6500. A part of the outbuildings extended down Hertford Street being pulled down to make way for their new erection......in the basement are stables for thirty horses, and for the carriages of the inn adjoining.
29.9.1860 CR 328/18 Auction at the Kings Head
1860's ACOV P48 The Kings Head Hotel on the corner of Hertford Street and Smithford Street. The age of the original building is unknown, but it is likely to be medaeval. In the 18th century the original inn which stood around the corner in Smithford Street was a favourite billet of commissioned officers. When the old inn was demolished in the late 1870's......The new Kings Head extended round the corner into Hertford Street......Part of the building built by Mr George Woodcock opened its doors byChristmas 1879; it was however some time before the whole luxurious building was completed. The Kings Head was completely destroyed on the night of 14.11.1940.
1863 ACOV P17A Photo ' The original Kings Head is just around the corner '.
1863 COCIP P38 Photo
A Joseph Wingrave photograph showing ther junctions of Smithford Street, Broadgate, High Street and Hertford Street in 1893 ....... Across Smithford Street stands the Kings Head which was one of the city's oldest coaching inns. The inn probably dated back to the 15th century indeed cellars dating back to that period were descovered under the building when alterations were underway in the 1930's. Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton stayed here as did the Duke of Wellington. Another, of less renown, who visited in 1822, wrote:
When last at Coventry I stopped to dine
In Worcester cyder and in Shropshire Ale.
The cutlets came, rich and well done and smoking:
The host came too, a man much given to joking:
He brought a ponderous quarto, clasped and bound,
And read of old a wonderous tale.
1865 CIC P47 Election - Phot of victorious Tory candidates H. W. Eaton and Morgan Treherne on the balcony of the Kings Head Inn.
23.12.1865 JA141 CS Transfer of license from W. P.Merry to Mary Ann Sabin
CIC P43 Photo
1870's CIC P44 Old Tavern and Piggott's Boot and ShoeWarehouse demolished
1870's COVHG P11 The oak figure we now call Peeping Tom, standing in Cathedral Lanes, has been used to represent Tom since at least 1659, when it looked from a window in Cross Cheaping, In 1678 Alderman Owen moved the figure to Greyfriars Lane and later, around 1775, city antiquarian Thomas Sharp had it removed to his shop in Smithford Street. The shop later became the corner shop, and Tom was placed in a special corner window looking down Hertford Street. In the 1870's the Kings Head was rebuilt, taking in the corner, and Tom was moved to that building; here he remained until the outbreak of the Second World War. Tom re-appeared after the war in the Hotel Leofric, before moving in 1991 to his present site.
1878 CBH P165 Advert
Kings Head Hotel
This Hotel is especially adapted for gentlemen travelling through Coventry by bycycle, as every home comfort may be obtained at modest charges.
A LOCK UP ROOM FOR BYCYCLES
Bycycle theft a worry even then !
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P25 KINGS HEAD, Hertford Street & Smithford Street Alehouse
Owner : George Woodcock, Coventry
later Thomas Gustave Hawley, Pak Hill, Kenilworth, later of Park Gate, Coventry
Licensee : Elizabeth Jane Jones
12.12.1878 TOL to George Woodcock & Alexander Rotherham
22.1.1880 TOL to Louisa Elizabeth Winnall
20.1.1881 TOL to Alfed Prior
3.11.1887 TOL to Henry Sealey
17.4.1890 TOL to Amelia Ann Balderson
26.6.1890 TOL to George Fox Spencer
28.10.1897 TOL to Charles Edward Hewitt
18.5.1899 TOL to Andrew Thomson
19.1.1878 fined 20/- & costs. Keeping open
1879 SOC P205 Henninger had been head waiter at the Kings Head In Hertford Street, an old inn rebuilt in 1879 and turned into Coventry's best hotel.
1879 ACOV P61 When the house was demolished around 1775, Thomas Sharp, hatter and noted local historian, obtained the figure ( Peeping Tom ) and had it placed in a specially constructed window above his shop near the corner of Smithford Street and Hertford Street. When Hertford Street was constructed in 1812/13, Sharp's shop became the corner house and the figure was placed in a specially constructed corner window, where he looked down Hertford Street. In the late 1870's the Kings Head was demolished and rebuilt on a larger scale, taking in the corner property. Bt Christmas 1879 Tom was back, now looking out of a fourth - storey window in the new hotel.
1880 Source 18 This commodious Hotel, which has been recently rebuiltand greatly enlarged, from plans furnished by Mr George Taylor, Architect of this City, and erecred by Mr James Marriott, Constructor, is now open for the reception of guests. The public Luncheon Bar was opened on 20th December 1879, and is a noble room, 40 ft long by 24 ft wide, supplied with beer and cabinet fittings of substantial character and elaborate design, the work of Samuel Mason, of Birmingham. Each window is in two portions, the upper and smaller parts being a medallion of one of the English Kings, the lower containing a pictoral representation of some event traditional or historic connected with the City.....entrusted to Mr W. G. Fretton, of this city
Peeping Tom has been restored to his old corner, but has been accommodated with lodgings a storey higher.
The Kings Head Tap, Vicar Lane
Bar and smoke room, suitably furnished.
A good room upstairs for the purposes of small Clubs or Meetings, on reasonable terms.
Whoesale Wine and Spirit Department
This portion of the Hotel has been specially appropriated for the Wholesale Trade: the attention of Family and Retail Customers is particularly invited. The room is conveniently fitted.
THERE FOLLOWS A PRICE LIST FOR:
SHERRIES: PORTS: CHAMPAGNE: CLARETS: HOCKS: RED & WHITE BURGUNDIES: SPARKLING HOCK & MOSELLE.
1880's News 1 Hotel modernised. Peeping Tom retaimed.
1885 TRE P140 Later in the month a benefit production was held at the Britannia for Mr J. Wayland, retired manager at the City's Kings Head. Whether this was the Kings Head Hotel in Smithford Street or the Kings Head Tavern in Little Park Street is not made clear.
( We only have J. Wayland at the George, Little Park Street at present - 8.2012 )
1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs
1894 CBH P35 CENTRAL CYCLE CO ( Bicycles )
.....they began in 1894 at Central Chambers, once situated in Broadgate. These ' Chambers ' were thought to have been found at the rear of the Kings Head Hotel, which was once owned by George Woodcock, a Coventry solicitor and prominent figure concerning the local cycle industry.
1900 COVAIW Photo 54
1900 ACOV P49A Photo
1905 ACOV P28 Photo
c1905 MOC P31 Photo
Kings Head Hotel in left hand corner
1906 OS Map
1912 TEOC P74 Meeting place of the Association of Lancastrians
7.1919 COCIP P78 Photo
This is Broadgate on the morning after the Godiva ' Peace ' Procession. The previous evening was coming to a happy conclusion, although brought abruptly to an end by rain. Soon after, and for no apparent reason, a crowd began to gather in Broadgate and after much shouting the Kings Head came under attack from a mob armed with bricks and stones. The police quickly arrived and the mob turned on them showering them with bottles and bricks. The police regained control and the rioters went home. Riots continued the next two nights. This was the last act of rioting and for three days the citizens of Coventry were put under curfew. Some say the riots began as rumours were spread that certain shops in Broadgate were German owned, this however was not an isolated case for 1919 saw riots throughout England as soldiers were demobbed and found thamselves unemployed ( the owner of the Kings Head was Max Otto Meinhardt, which sounds German - Fred )
1920 COCIP P79 Photo
Peeping Tom looking down on Hertford Street from the top storey window of the Kings Head Hotel in 1920.
In the 1870's the Kings Head was rebuilt on a larger scale taking in the corner of Smithford Street and Hertford Streets; Tom soon found a place in the hotel looking out from his own fourth storey nook ( as seen in the photograph ). Tom stayed here until 1934 when he was taken into the hotel. It was the intention of the management to replace the original with a head and shoulder copy while the original was restored and protected from the elements. The plan however never materialised and in 1940 the hotel was destroyed. Tom later appeared in the Hotel Leofric and now stands ina glass case overlooking Lady Godiva from Cathedral Lanes.
c1927 CWL Photo
1929 ACOV P49B Photo
1929 MOC P43 Photo
1929 ACOV P64A Photo
1931 ACOV P17B Photo
Peeping Tom is now in the enlarged Kings Head Hotel
1937 COCIP P114 Photo
An excellent view taken from the High Street side of Greyfriars lane in 1937 looking towards Smithford Street and Broadgate. On the left stands the Kings Head Hotel minus its figure of Peeping Tom in the top corner window. The figure was now standing in the hotel hallway.
14.11.1940 News 1 Destroyed in the blitz
c1940 Cov at War 2 P65 Two members of the Home Duard carry Peeping Tom into Hertford Street. Luckily the fifteenth-century figure had been removed from the fourth-storey nook well before the outbreak of war. As the Kings Head was destroyed Tom had to be removed to a place of greater safety. He therefore spent the remainder of the war years in the vaults of the nearby bank.
1940 SOC P229 Destroyed by enemy action....... Coventry lost the Kings Head Hotel ......... and sixteenth century Palace Yard.
1532 - 33 JA34 William Lynde
1776 CR 101/1/285 Richard Richards
1776 CR 101/1/285 Thomas Soden
1805 Cr 66/2/5ff Henry Butterworth
1845 Kelly J. Williamson
1848 JA62 CH&O James Williamson
23.3.1848 JA62 CH&O Charles Sabin
1851 Census Charles Sabin 33 yo innkeeper b Harbury & 2 sisters
1861 Census William P. Merry 45 yo hotel keeper b Coventry m Emily R.,
1865 JA141 CS W. P.Merry [ 39 & 2d, 7 servants, 2 barmaids, 1 visitor
1865 JA141 CS Mary Ann Sabin
1868 Buchanan M. A. Sabin
23.11.1868 Lantern Mary A. Sabin
1871 Census Mary Ann Sabin 67 yo hotel keeper b Alcester unmarried & 1874 C&B Miss M. A. Sabin [ 10 servants, 2 visitors
1878 LJ Vol 1 P25 Elizabeth Jane Jones
1878 LJ Vol 1 P25 George Woodcock & Alexander Rotherham
1879 Stevens Licensee not named
1880 LJ Vol 1 P25 George Woodcock & Alexander Rotherham
1880 LJ Vol 1 P25 Louisa Elizabeth Winnall
1881 LJ Vol 1 P25 Louisa Elizabeth Winnall
1881 LJ Vol 1 P25 Alfed Prior
1881 C&B A. Prior
1887 LJ Vol 1 P25 Alfed Prior
1887 LJ Vol 1 P25 Henry Sealey
1890 LJ Vol 1 P25 Henry Sealey
1890 LJ Vol 1 P25 Amelia Ann Balderson
1890/91 R&G Miss Scoley ( Miss Sealey ? Was she Amelia Ann Balderson ? )
1890 LJ Vol 1 P25 George Fox Spencer
1893 Reporter G. F. Spencer
1894 R&G G. F. Spencer
1896 R&G G. F. Spencer
1897 LJ Vol 1 P25 George Fox Spencer
1897 LJ Vol 1 P25 Charles Edward Hewitt
1899 LJ Vol 1 P25 Charles Edward Hewitt
1899 LJ Vol 1 P25 Andrew Thomson
1903 R&G W. Baker
1905 R&G T. C. Bird
1909 R&G Max Otto Meinhardt
1911/12 Spennell Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1912/13 Spennell Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1929 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1931/32 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1933/34 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1935/36 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1937/38 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1939/40 P. James Kings Head Hotel Co Ltd
1532/33 JA34 Trintiy Guild
1703/04 CR 309/85 E. Owen senior
1703/04 CR 309/85 W. Hethersett & J. Sharpe
1878 LJ Vol 1 P25 George Woodcock, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P25 Thomas Gustave Hawley, Park Hill, Kenilworth, later of Park Gate, Coventry
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.