title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Kings Arms

photo

Cox Street 1910

NAME KINGS ARMS
ADDRESS 18 and 19 COX STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES MILL LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 1868 KINGS ARMS
1868 1928 ROBIN HOOD
The arms shown depend on the monarch the artist had in mind - a declaration of loyalty.

In 1862 the license was transferred from Charles Green to Thomas Poultney but by 1868 this had become the ROBIN HOOD.

Known Licensees at the KINGS ARMS are;
1822 - 1823 W. Grove
1828 - 1829 John Pickering
1850 - 1851 Thomas Cooper
to 1862 Charles Green
from 1862 Thomas Poultney

Known Licensees at the ROBIN HOOD are;
1868 J. Smith
1868 George Harris & Thomas Pool
1871 Emily Haycock
1874 - 1886 Richard Hands
1890 - 1891 Eliza Smith
1893 J. Athersuch
1894 - 1896 Mrs. E. Neale
1897 - 1909 Joseph Morton
1911 - 1913 Joseph Smith
1914 - 1929 Thomas Bates

Owners
from 1889 Phillips and Marriott

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.