|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
This is a heraldic reference to Edward IV, or the Earls of March or Duke of Norfolk.
This property is thought to date to before 1626, though the first mention of a license was in 1636, when Robert Hinkes was granted a license to keep an inn in the 'fair house on the great road in Allesley where he do now live'.
In 1661 this inn was in the possession of Richard Swaine. In 1692 it was an inn formerly called the KINGS ARMS, now the White Horse. In the eighteenth century George barnes held a long tenancy until 1786 and during this time the name was changed to the WHITE LION
This was the WHITE HORSE until the latter eighteenth century. In January 1771 there was acurious case involving this pub. A pauper and his wife and child were passing as vagrants from Birmingham to St Albans. During the journey they stopped at a pub in Meriden and the man and woman drank together. The driver stayed behind tipling and did not rejoin his wagon until it was nearly at Allesley and when enquiring about his charges the husband revealed that his wife was dead. Her body was left at the White Lion, Allesley, with sufficient money to satisfy the charge of internment and the husband and child were taken forward by the carrier. Next day an examination of the body revealed that the woman had been destroyed by hanging; it was then recollected that a cord was about her body at the time of being taken from the wagon and with this strong suspicion a pursuit was raised after the husband and waggoner, to be returned to Allesley to attend a Coroner's Inquest.
The inquest took place at the White Lion, Allesley, in February and the husband, one Michael Grove, was examined for eight hours after which he was found guilty of strangling his wife and was committed to Warwick Gaol. At the end of March Grove appeared at Warwick Assizes but was acxquitted, the evidence being circumstantial and the case admitted of some doubt. The surgeon, however, persisted in his opinion that the woman died from being strangled.
In 1772 a main of cock was to have been fought at the Three Kittens in St Johns Bridge, Coventry, between the gentlemen of Coventry and Meriden. The Mayor banned the event, si it took place at the White Lion in Allesley instead. It is interesting that the Rainbow in Allesley is also reputed to have been the haunt of sporting men. Allesley was obviously just far anough away to be beyond the reach of Coventry's law.
In 1868 the Manor of Allesley's lands were for sale and the Whiyte Lion was prived at £675. it was withdrawn, but sold in 1871 to William Barr, who converted it into two dwellings. By 1878 the sign had disappeared and it was described as follows: ' the old inn where Coventry citizens in olden times held picnics and consumed cheesecakes has been metamorphosed into a double dwelling house.' The White Lion had been famed not only for its home brewed beer but also its cheesecakes!
The White Lion was renowned for its home-brewed ale and cheesecakes. It is now divided into two houses called Park House and Lion House.
|Known Licensees are;
1636 Richard Hinckes
1661 Richard Swaine
1700s George Barnes
? Richard Sotherne (see also at the PANNIER Allesley)
1835 - 1850 Joseph Barrs & butcher & farmer
1863 - 1868 Edward Walker & butcher & farmer
1661 Compton Flynt (part of the Allesley Manor estate)
1805 Mary Neale
1871 William Barr
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.