title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Jolly Weavers

photo

Bayley Lane from Pepper Lane in 1932. The Toby's Head pub is the one in the foreground on the right. We can just make out the gable of the Golden Cross beyond. The Old County Court still survives as the last building on the left before the cathedral and is now a bar-cum-eatery called The Establishment.

NAME JOLLY WEAVERS
ADDRESS BAYLEY LANE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1794 1794 JOLLY WEAVERS
1843 1851 WEAVERS ARMS
1860 1938 CLARENDON ARMS
In 1794 this pub was for sale. It is in fact the WEAVERS ARMS, Bayley Lane. The pub closed on 6.8.1938.
Known Licensees are;
1845 Charles Twaites
1850 - 1851 William Fitchett
1868 - 1874 William Archer
1879 David Manning
1881 - 1886 Edward Wilday
1890 - 1893 George Budd
1894 - 1896 Mrs. Eliza Purcell
1903 Henry Arrowsmith
1905 Charles Thomas
1909 Ellen Elliott
1911 - 1922 Arthur Wareham
1924 S. Bayliss
1926 - 1927 A. Elton
1929 - 1932 J. W. Arnold
1933 - 1938 H. Bates

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.