title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Joiners Arms

photo
NAME JOINERS ARMS
ADDRESS 65 SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1756 DUKE WILLIAM
1823 1830 JOINERS ARMS
1831 KING WILLIAM INN
1833 1967 WILLIAM IV, KING WILLIAM IV
The Company of Joiners were granted a coat of arms in 1571. Joiners differ from carpenters in doing lighter and more ornamental work and take their name from the fact that they join pieces of wood with joints.

In 1823 a deed of purchase mentions a former dye-house 'known as the JOINERS ARMS then as the sign of KING WILLIAM IV'.

This building was formerly a dye house which was converted to the pub called the JOINERS ARMS. In 1831 it was the KING WILLIAM INN before becoming the WILLIAM IV. It was also known as the DUKE WILLIAM. At one time it brewed its own beer as in 1960 the old brewery could be seen at the rear. It closed on 3rd April 1967.
photo
Licensees
1828 - 1829 James Pope

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.