title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Hope and Anchor

photo
NAME HOPE AND ANCHOR
ADDRESS 8 TOWER STREET

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1850 1879 BEERHOUSE, Tower Street
1850 c1905 HOPE AND ANCHOR

In this name hope may have been used in the sense of a small bay. In christian symbolism the anchor is the sign of hope. The spare anchor on a ship was often called the 'hope anchor'.

Between 1850 and 1879 this was also the BEERHOUSE, Tower Street. The Hope and Anchor is first recorded in 1850 when a license is granted to Joseph Bradford, but it does not appear in directories until 1868..

In the 1841 census there are no matching records. In 1851 Joseph Bradford is 33 and a publican and coal dealer at the Hope and Anchor, Tower Street. In 1861 he is 43 and a publican at the Hope and Anchor, 8 Tower Street. By 1871 he is 53 and a drayman at the Hope and Anchor, married to Elizabeth Bradford, 52, a tavern keeper.

The Hope and Anchor had a full public house license from 1861 to 1905. it closed c1905 as by 1906 it was a private dwelling.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE, Tower Street are;
1850 - 1851 Joseph Bradford, drayman m Elizabeth, tavern keeper
1879 John Bradford

Known Licensees at the HOPE & ANCHOR are;
1861 - 1881 John (Joseph) Bradford, drayman m Elizabeth, tavern keeper
1886 Elizabeth Bradford
1890 - 1905 W. Lines

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The pub name was no doubt suggested by the place name that uses

' hope ' in the sense of ' small bay '. in Christian symbolism the anchor is the symbol of hope. At Hebrews 6:19 we find ' Hope we have as anchor of the soul '. The spare anchor on a ship was often called the ' hope anchor '.

1835 - 1850 See BEERHOUSE, Tower Street

1850 JA16 First mentioned in 1850 when a license was granted to Joseph Bradford.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

18.5.1855 JA143 CH&O Transfer of license from Joseph Bradford to Mrs Cox

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P5 Owner : Edwin Hill, Berkeswell
later Ann Hill, Berkeswell
Licensee : Joseph Bradford
28.5.1885 TOL to Elizabeth Bradford
11.3.1886 TOL to Rebeca Freeman
22.4.1886 TOL to William Lines
26.1.1879 fined 10/- & costs. Sunday trading

1906 By 1906 had become a private dwelling.

c1904 Closed

LICENSEES

1850 JA16 Joseph Bradford.

1851 Census See BEERHOUSE, Tower Street
1855 JA143 CH&O Joseph Bradford
1855 JA143 CH&O Mrs Cox
1861 Census Joseph Bradford 43 yo b Monks Kirby m Elizabeth, 43 & 1d, 1868 Buchanan Joseph Bradford [ 1 lodger

1871 Census Joseph Bradford 53 yo drayman b Stretton m Elizabeth, 52

1874 C&B J. Bradford [ ( Tavern Keeper ) & 2 boarders,
1878 LJ Vol1 P5 Joseph Bradford
1879 Stevens John Bradford beerseller

1881 C&B J. Bradford

1884 C&B E. Bradford
1885 LJ Vol1 P5 Joseph Bradford
1885 LJ Vol1 P5 Elizabeth Bradford
1886 LJ Vol1 P5 Elizabeth Bradford
1886 LJ Vol1 P5 Rebeca Freeman
1886 LJ Vol1 P5 William Lines
1890/91 R&G W. Lines

1893 Reporter W. Lines

1894 R&G W. Lines

1896 R&G W. Lines

1898 LJ Vol1 P5 William Lines
1903 R&G W. Lines

1905 R&G W. Lines

OWNERS

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P5 Edwin Hill, Berkeswell
later LJ Vol1 P5 Ann Hill, Berkeswell

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.