title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Holyhead Hotel

photo
NAME HOLYHEAD INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES HOLYHEAD HOTEL
ADDRESS HOLYHEAD ROAD
This pub gets its name because it stands on the Holyhead Road, Thomas Telford's great coaching road from London to Holyhead.

In 1929 the license for the Crystal Palace in the Burges was transferred to the Holyhead. The first licensee was Lesley White, who left the pub in 1960 after 31 years in charge. He exchanged licenses with Mr Stan Adkins, ex Coventry rugby player, of the WHITE LION, Brownshill Green. It always has been a popular pub, probably because of its prominent position on a main route into the city and at times has targeted a youthful clientele. It was renovated in 1984 and again in 2001 when it became an Ember Inn.
Known Licensees are;
1931 - 1940 Ray Lesley White (see also White Lion, Brownshill Green)
1955 - 1957 Agnes Walker
1960 Ray Lesley White
1960 onwards Stanley John Adkins (see above, see also White Lion, Brownshill Green and Raglan Tavern, Raglan Street)

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.