title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Holly Bush

photo
NAME HOLLY BUSH
ADDRESS NEAR DODD'S BRIDGE, LONGFORD

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1876 BEERHOUSE, Longford
In 1850 and 1871 HOLLY TREE, Little Heath
1879 HOLLY BUSH near Dodds Bridge
1897 1904 HOLLY BUSH
This evergreen shrub with its bright red berries, is now associated with Christmas decoration. Previously it was used by the Romans during the Saturnalia, the period of riotous celbrations extending over seven days, often ending in drunken debauchery. The Saturnalia was also celebrated in December.

Between 1850 and 1876 see the BEERHOUSE, Longford. In 1850 it is called the Holly Tree, and in 1879 the Holly Bush near Dodds Bridge.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 Esther Smith
1850 Thomas, John & Esther Smith
1851 - 1866 Esther Smith
1868 - 1876 Thomas Smith

Known Licensees at the HOLLY TREE are;
1871 Henry Mullis

Known Licensees at the HOLLY BUSH are;
1879 Thomas Smith
1892 John Smith
1900 - 1904 Mrs Ann Smith

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.