title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Hind

photo

Little Park Street towards Earl Street with a line of Phillips and Marriot Brewers dray wagons

NAME HIND
ADDRESS LITTLE PARK STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1477 1756 ROEBUCK
1756 1760 HIND
1776 1793 GOLDEN HART
? ? WHITE ROSE
1793 1859 ROEBUCK
The hind is the female red deer, the male being the stag or hart. Early examples of this sign relate to St Giles, who is said to have withdrawn into a remote forest where a hind lived with him ans supplied him with milk. When the king's huntsmen pursued the hind St Giles caused thick bushes to spring up to protect it.

In 1756, 6 soldiers were billeted here and in 1760 a grand flower show was held here. In the same year the pub was for sale. This appears to have been the ROEBUCK

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.