title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Harrow

photo
NAME HARROW
ADDRESS 26 SPON STREET
This is a common sign referring to the contrivance used to break up clods of earth, stir the earth, root up weeds and cover seeds etc., on farmland.

This pub was established before 1838 and was situated next to Harrow Yard. The premises were quite substantial having two parlours, kitchens, bar and pantry, clubroom and four chambers together with two adjacent dwelling houses. There was a back road or alley leading to Poddy Croft.

An 1838 sale notice indicated that there was thirteen years left to run on the lease, and the pub does not appear on the Board Of Health map of 1851. In fact it was advertised for sale on 12th July 1850.
Known Licensees are;
1850 Charles Laing

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.