title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Market Vaults

market street
NAME HARP
ADDRESS 22 MARKET STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1832 1835 HARP
1845 1881 WELCH HARP
1886 1925 MARKET VAULTS, 22 Market Street, MARKET (HALL) TAVERN, HOLE IN THE WALL
The harp is usually a symbol of Ireland. It was first adopted by Henry VIII as the Irish badge, while James I was the first monarch to include it in the royal arms. From 1845 it was the WELCH HARP. On the town planning map of 1888 it is the MARKET VAULTS

In 1910 it was advertising ' home brewed ales ' and is said to have been nicknamed the ' HOLE IN THE WALL ' due to a large cartoon which hung on the wall behind the bar !

In 1901 Allard Motorcycles was taken over by the Birmingham Motor Manufacturing Co, who created a new enterprise called the Rex Motor Manufacturing Co in larger works on Osborne Road. Frederick Allard enjoyed a new career as licensee of the Market Vaults.

Known Licensees at the HARP are;
1835 Robert Shaw

Known Licensees at the WELCH HARP are;
1850 - 1851 George Lockington
1861 - 1868 William Brown
1871 - 1881 Lidia Brown

Known Licensees at the MARKET VAULTS are;
1886 - 1896 J. Phillips
1903 - 1927 Frederick W. Allard

map

Town planning map of 1888

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.