|NAME||HARE AND SQUIRREL|
|ADDRESS||1 COW LANE|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||GREYFRIARS LANE, UNION STREET|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1765||1994||HARE AND SQUIRREL|
|1994||c2013||FLANKER AND FIRKIN|
|This name is a rather odd combination of symbols. Perhaps it is just meant to convey a pastoral impression.
In early 1765 Thomas Edawrd and John Green, both of Stoneleigh, were in the pub after attending market day in Coventry. They entered at 10 o'clock and they spent about two hours in the company of two dragoons, John Floor of Stoneleigh and the innkeeper's servants, Richard and John Spencer. When they left they walked back towards Stoneleigh, but having reached Canley were set upon and robbed. Edwards was killed. The two dragoons, along with a wever, Thomas Moses, were found guilty of the murder and later hanged on Gibbett Hill.
The original Hare and Squirrel stood in the midst of what was medaeval Coventry, an ancient timbered building surrounded by orchards and with plenty of stabling to the rear.In 1853 it was for sale, with the brewing plant and utensils, being on the corner of Cow Lane and Union Street. In the late 1920's the original pub was demolished and on doing so sandstone walls were found. These were interpreted as a part of a chapel belonging to Greyfriars Monastery. The new pub opened in 1931.
From 1955 to 1957 the Hare and Squirrel was advertised as a public house, restaurant and hotel.
The most notable feature of the new pub was when, after 1979, the ceiling had a huge classical scene place on it. The bar was compared to the Cistine Chapel.
Note how the earlier licensees were all maltsters as well and how many women kept the pub. There were four of them; Anna Maria Campion, Caroline Claridge, Lucy E. Stafford and Mrs M. Llewellyn between 1850 and 1905.
In 1994 it became the FLANKER AND FIRKIN and in 2010 the SQUIRREL
1822 - 1829 J. Graham
1841 - 1853 Robert Campion & maltster
1850 - 1851 Anna Maria Campion & maltster
1861 Caroline Claridge & maltster
1868 - 1886 Edwin Broom & maltster
1890 - 1891 William Arnett
1893 - 1894 A. W. Hitchin(s)
1896 Lucy E. Stafford
1903 - 1905 Mrs M. Llewellyn
1909 W. H. Timms
1911 - 1924 Alfred Elton
1926 - 1929 A. Petty
1931 - 1938 C. S. Melbourne
1939 - 1940 Ind, Coope and Alsopp Ltd, Proprietors
1960 Wallace Bennett (see above)
1960 - 1966 D. Maughan
1970 - 1971 Peter Gilbert
1939/40 Ind, Coope and Alsopp
The Hare and Squirrel, Cow Lane
Name An odd combination of rural symbols
16.2.1765 CSubs P38 Thomas Edwards, John Green and John Spencer meet at the pub, before being robbed and Edwards murdered in Canley.
15.3.1765 SEF P19 Market day in Coventry.
Thomas Edwards and Thomas Green visited the pub at 10 o'clock and drank till 11 or 12 later attacked and robbed on the way home to Stoneleigh. Edwards was killed.
1765 FDSDC P52 Murder of Thomas Edwards
John Green said that on the night in question he and Thomas Edwards had gone to the Hare and Squirrel where they sat in the company of two dragoons, John Floor of Stoneleigh, and the innkeeper's servants Richard and John Spencer.......Afterwards servants from the Hare and Squirrel were brought in and questiones about the evening.
P55 They returned via the Hare and Squirrel and there heard a group of noisy drinkers who would later reappear as they were ahead on the road.
1765 JA34 Ref6 Murder of Thomas Edwards.....went to the Hare and Squirrel public house.
c1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
30.9.1853 JA56 CH&O Sale by auction.
On corner of Cow Lane and Union Street.
Now in the occupation of Mr Campion.
Brewing plant and utensils
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P4 Owner : Edwin Broom, Coventry
later Ind Coope & Co Ltd, Burton upon Trent
Licensee : Edwin Broom
17.4.1890 TOL to Arthur Randle
7.1.1892 TOL to Joseph Collins
19.5.1892 TOL to Alfred William Hitchins
24.10.1893 TOL to Alexander Thomas
28.2.1895 TOL to Edward Thomson
18.6.1896 TOL to Lucy Emma Stafford
21.5.1897 TOL to Frederick William Allard
22.6.1899 TOL to Isaac Greaves
2.2.1891 fined £ 5 & costs for selling at prohibited hours
1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs
1927 HOH P23 Messrs Harris and Sons were excavating on the site of the Hare and Squirrel in Cheylesmore and found sandstone walls which Shelton interpreted as part of a chapel belonging to Greyfriars.
1929 ACov P149B Photo
The timbered building above it is the Hare and Squirrel, run by Arthur Petty.
1931 Citypubs 70 New pub opened
1955/56 } Barrett Public house and restaurant ( and hotel )
1962 Citypubs 70 The Hare and Squirrel in Cow Lane, Coventry, owned by Ansells, the Birmingham brewers, is set in the midst of what was medaeval Coventry.
It is not genrally known that there was an earlier ' Hare and Squirrel ' public house which stood practically on the site of the present hostelry. It was opened in 1931.....he well remembers the old Hare and Squirrel. Orchards surrounded the place and there was plenty of stabling behind the old hostelry.
1979 WRAG2 Newly decorated, tasteful. Look at the ceiling
1982 WRAG3 A modernised old pub the ceilings are particularly notworthy, reminiscent of the Cisitne Chapel.
1985 CCRAG Modernised pub with a fiendly single bar. the decorated ceiling is reminiscent of that in the Sistine Chapel. Live music at least two nights a week.
1994 Became FLANKER AND FIRKIN
1822/23 Pigot J. Graham
1828/29 Pigot John Graham
1841 Pigot Robert Campion
1841 Census Robert Campion 25 yo publican/maltster b Wks m Maria, 23 1845 Kelly R. Campion [ & 1 child
1850 CS Anna Maria Campion
1851 Census Anna Maria Campion 38 yo maltster & publican b Coventry alone
1853 JA56 CH&O Mr Campion
1861 Census Caroline Claridge 23 yo innkeeper b Coventry
head of household Dan Claridge, horse dealer, wife Anne, maltster & 2d, 1s, 4 servants
1868 Buchanan Edwin Broom
1871 Census Edwin Broom 45 yo maltster & publican b Charlton, Wark
m Deborah, 41 & 1 s-i-l, 1 m-i-l, 1 servant, 1 lodger, 1 neice
1874 C&B E. Broom
1878 LJ Vol 1 P4 Edwin Broom
1879 Stevens Edwin Broom
1881 C&B E. Broom
1886 C&B E. Broom
1890 LJ Vol 1 P4 Edwin Broom
1890 LJ Vol 1 P4 Arthur Randle
1890/91 R&G William Arnett
1892 LJ Vol 1 P4 Arthur Randle
1892 LJ Vol 1 P4 Joseph Collins
1892 LJ Vol 1 P4 Alfred William Hitchins
1893 Reporter A. Hitchin
1893 LJ Vol 1 P4 Alfred William Hitchins
1893 LJ Vol 1 P4 Alexander Thomas
1894 R&G A. W. Hitchins
1895 LJ Vol 1 P4 Alexander Thomas
1895 LJ Vol 1 P4 Edward Thomson
1896 LJ Vol 1 P4 Edward Thomson
1896 LJ Vol 1 P4 Lucy Emma Stafford
1896 R&G Lucy E. Stafford
1897 LJ Vol 1 P4 Lucy Emma Stafford
1897 LJ Vol 1 P4 Frederick William Allard
1899 LJ Vol 1 P4 Frederick William Allard
1899 LJ Vol 1 P4 Isaac Greaves
1903 R&G Mrs M. Llewellyn
1905 R&G Mrs M. Llewellyn
1909 R&G W. H. Timms
1911/12 Spennell Alfred Elton
1912/13 Spennell A. Elton
1919 Spennell Alfred Elton
1921/22 Spennell Alfred Elton
1924 P. James Alfred Elton
1926/27 P. James A. Petty
1929 P. James A. Petty
1929 ACov P149B Alfred Petty
1931/32 P. James C. S. Melbourne
1933/34 P. James C. S. Melbourne
1935/36 P. James C. S. Melbourne
1937/38 P. James C. S. Melbourne
1939/40 P. James Ind, Coope and Alsopp Ltd, proprietors
1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named
1957 Barrett Licensee not named
1960 Citypubs 70 Wallace Bennett
1960 Barrett D. Maughan
1961 Barrett D. Maughan
1962 Citypubs 70 Wallace Bennett
1966 Barrett D. Maughan
1970 Source 45 Peter Gilbert
1971 Source 45 Peter Gilbert
1878 LJ Vol 1 P4 Edwin Broom, Coventry
later Ind Coope & Co Ltd, Burton upon Trent
1939/40 P. James Ind, Coope and Alsopp Ltd
1962 Citypubs 70 Ansells
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.