title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Griffin

photo
NAME GRIFFIN
ADDRESS 140 LONGFORD ROAD, LONGFORD

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1772 GRIFFIN, OLD GRIFFIN INN
1863 1924 BEERHOUSE, 140 Longford Road
1924 1980s GRIFFIN, OLD GRIFFIN INN
The griffin is a fabulous monster, supposedly the offspring of the lion and the eagle. Since it represented the attributes of the noblest animal and the king of the birds, it was much used on coats of arms. Families called Griffith or Griffin have been especially fond of using it.

In 1772 it was advertised to let. Between 1863 and 1924 see the BEERHOUSE, 140 Longford Road.

The pub is often referred to as the OLD GRIFFIN INN.

It was purchased on April 14 1914 by Phipps of Northampton for £1,150. The annual rent was £20 and it was let to J. J. Rogers from March 26 1907. The pub was rebuilt on the same site in c1921 and modernised around 1942.

Known Licensees at the GRIFFIN are;
1929 - 1934 Joseph Jesse Rodgers
1935 - 1938 L. P. Cross
1939 - 1962 J. Hilton
1960's David Marlow

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 - 1850 Mrs Frances Hackett
1863 - 1876 George Woodhouse & boot & shoe maker
1880 - 1888 Benjamin Woodhouse
1892 Joseph Stanley
1900 - 1904 Thomas Court(s)
1908 - 1924 Joseph Jesse Rodgers

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.