title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Greyhound

photo
NAME GREYHOUND
ADDRESS 118 MUCH PARK STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HALF MOON YARD
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1756 CROWN
1756 1841 CROWN AND ANCHOR
1841 2001 GREYHOUND
2001 2010 JAILHOUSE

There are a number of possible explanations of this name:

a) a famous mail coach which travelled between London and Birmingham;
b) A heraldic reference to the Dukes of Newcastle;
c) the greyhound was formerly used in the chase but is now mainly associated with greyhound racing.

Before 1841 see the CROWN AND ANCHOR. In the 1841 Census the address is given as ' Half Moon Yard '. In 1982 it was 'a popular pub with good beer. It stands isolated in a car park, an old bomb site, that was once the site of Phillips and Marriotts brewery'.

In 1991 it became a Charles Wells pub and in 2001 was renamed the JAILHOUSE because of its proximity to the Police Station. In 2010 it closed and has been demolished.

Note the longevity of the Standbridge family who kept the pub for around seventy years. Reuben kept it for nearly fifty. He was 31 when he took it over so he would have been in his eighties when he left.

Circa 1962. The junction with St John's Street remains but the Horse & Jockey which was once on the corner has already been demolished.

Known Licensees are;
1835 - 1841 Thomas Ward
1850 - 1861 William Standbridge
1861 - 1905 Reuben Standbridge
1909 - 1919 Herbert R. Standbridge
1921 - 1927 S. Daffern
1929 A. R. Manley
1931 - 1932 A. C. Greenway
1937 - 1938 C. J. Jones
1939 - 1940 Mrs. M. H. Jones
1982 Craig Robinson
map
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN 1. A famous mail coach which travelled between London and Birmingham

2 A heraldic reference to the dukes of Newcastle

3 The greyhound was formerly used in the chase, but is now mainly associated with greyhound racing.

Previously CROWN AND ANCHOR

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

19.12.1862 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Reuben Standbridge to John Collins

3.5.1863 JA137 Transfer of license from John Collins to Reuben Standbridge

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P40 GREYHOUND, Much Park Street Alehouse
Owner : William Goodhall Jones, 6 Prince Edward St, Everton, Liverpool
later J. R. Pursell, 4 Trintiy Rd, Bootle, Liverpool
Licensee : Reuben Stanbridge

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

1977 WRAG1

1979 WRAG2 Popular amongst local cognoscenti

1982 WRAG3 A popular pub close to Lanchester Polytechnic. Good beer. Stands isolated in car park ( on oldbomb site ) once site of Phillps & Marriotts brewery. Dates from at least 1850.

1982 Pubscrawl 14 Landlord, Craig Robinson, had jukebox, fruit machine and space invaders removed. ' It was pandemonium when they were all going at the same time ', he says. A pleasant public bar - down to earth, without being tatty. Craig's wife Anne sees to that. She did all the decorating after installing tthe damp course. Flock wallpapers gives a mellow feel to the lounge, enhanced by some fascinating photographs of old Coventry. The beer is dispensed by metered electric pumps into oversized glasses

1984 CCRAG A small pub standing almost alone on what was once the site of Phillips & Marriott brewery. Excellent beer in pleasing surroundings.

1991 Became a Charles Wells pub

10.2001 JA34 became the JAILHOUSE

LICENSEES

1841 Source 6 Thomas Ward

1850 CS William Standbridge

1851 Source 6 William Standbridge

1851 Census William Standbridge 49 yo b Bubbenhall m Maty Ann, 44

1861 Source 6 William Standbridge [ & 1s & his wife. Half Moon Yard

1861 Census Reuben Standridge 31 yo b - m Eliza, 22 & 4d, 1 neice, 6 lodgers
1862 JA141 CS Reuben Standbridge

1862 JA141 CS John Collins
1863 JA137 John Collins

1863 JA137 Reuben Standbridge

1868 Buchanan R. Standbridge

1871 Census Reuben Standbridge 40 yo b Coventry m Eliza, 33 & 1 father,

1874 C&B R. Standbridge [ 1 mother, 1s, 3d, 2 lodgers
1878 LJ Vol 1 P40 Reuben Stanbridge
1879 Stevens Reuben Standbridge

1881 C&B R. Standbridge

1886 C&B R. Standbridge

1890/91 R&G R. Standbridge

1893 Reporter R. Standbridge

1894 R&G R. Standbridge

1896 R&G R. Standbridge
1898 LJ Vol 1 P40 Reuben Stanbridge
1905 R&G R. Standbridge

1909 R&G H. R. Standbridge

1911/12 Spennell R. Standbridge

1912/13 Spennell R. Standbridge

1919 Spennell Henrbert R. Standbridge

1921/22 Spennell S. Daffern

1924 P. James S. Daffern

1926/27 P. James S. Daffern

1929 P. James A. R.Manley

1931/32 P. James A. C. Greenway

1935/36 P. James ?

1937/38 P. James C. J. Jones

1939/40 P. James Mrs M. H. Jones

1982 Pubscrawl 14 Craig Robinson

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P40 William Goodhall Jones, 6 Prince Edward St, Everton, Liverpool
later LJ Vol 1 P40 J. R. Pursell, 4 Trintiy Rd, Bootle, Liverpool
1898 LJ Vol 1 P40 J. R. Pursell, 4 Trintiy Rd, Bootle, Liverpool

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.