title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Greyhound

photo
NAME GREYHOUND
ADDRESS GOSFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 1829 GREYHOUND
1835 1856 QUEENS HEAD
There are a number of possible explanations of this name:

a) a famous mail coach which travelled between London and Birmingham;
b) a heraldic reference to the Dukes of Newcastle;
c) the greyhound was formerly used in the chase but is now mainly associated with greyhound racing.

This pub is thought to have existed in 1800. It is thought to have become the QUEENS HEAD, Gosford Street.

Known Licensees at the GREYHOUND are;
1822 - 1829 T. Burbury

Known Licensees at the QUEEN'S HEAD are;
1835 Robert Staveley
1841 William Humphries
1850 - 1856 Josiah Hewitt
1856 William Torrance

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.