Short Street being cleared for the Ring Road in 1968/1969 - Whitefriars Monastry to the left. Gulson Road at middle, The Plough Inn and London Road to the right.
|ADDRESS||27 LONDON ROAD|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||14 LONDON ROAD, TOP OF MUCH PARK STREET|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1850||2010||PLOUGH HOTEL, PLOUGH INN|
|In modern times the green man is associated with Robin Hood and his men who were supposedly dressed in Lincoln Green Cloth. A cloth called Kendal Green, from its manufacture there, or the lighter Lincoln Green, was used for the clothes of foresters, woodmen and the like from the sixteenth century. A more popular interpretation appears to be a symbol showing the renewal of plant growth each spring. The most common form is a face exuding greenery from its nose, mouth, nostrils and ears. Although it is of heathen origins the figure is commonly found in churches, and the rear door of St John's
( Bablake church ) in Coventry contains several carved green men. There are others about the city.
In Bradford's map of Coventry dated 1748 - 1749, this pub occupied the site of the PLOUGH, London Road. In 1761 and 1825 it is mentioned in leases of a property ' outside New Gate ( lying between a way leading to Whitefriars Mill on the north, Charterhouse Leys and the Green Man Inn to the south, the river to the east, the London Road to the west )
|Known Licensees at the PLOUGH are;
1850 George Harris
1851 Mary Ann Harris
1853 - 1861 Robert Bates
1868 Golsby & Charles Cross
1868 - 1881 Charles Cross
1890 - 1891 Sarah Cross
1893 - 1896 William J. Cross
1903 - 1919 William Parker
1921 - 1924 J. W. Harvey
1926 - 1927 A. V. Harrison
1929 T. H. Sylvester
1933 - 1934 P. W. Burley
1935 - 1936 H. Johnson
1937 - 1938 F. H. Cattell
1939 - 1940 G. Ansell
1957 S. Rogers
1983 Stan Melling
1825 Joseph Wickes
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.