title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Green Man

map
NAME GREEN MAN
ADDRESS HALL GREEN ROAD, FOLESHILL
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BELL GREEN
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1793 1904 GREEN MAN
1904 1924 BEERHOUSE, Hall Green
1924 c2010 GREEN MAN
c2010 2010 WINDMILL

In modern times the green man is associated with Robin Hood and his men who were supposedly dressed in Lincoln Green Cloth. A cloth called Kendal Green, from its manufacture there, or the lighter Lincoln Green, was used for the clothes of foresters, woodmen and the like from the sixteenth century. A more popular interpretation appears to be a symbol showing the renewal of plant growth each spring. The most common form is a face exuding greenery from its nose, mouth, nostrils and ears. Although it is of heathen origins the figure is commonly found in churches, and the rear door of St John's ( Bablake church ) in Coventry contains several carved green men. There are others about the city.

Our earliest reference is 1793 wheb the pub was used for auctions. From 1845 to 1924 this was also the BEERHOUSE, Hall Green, although it is still showing as a beer house on the map of Warwickshire 1936-38. Not until the map of Leicestershire 1950-59 does it appear as the Green Man (see above).

From 1910 this pub was leased by Phillips and Marriotts from J. Smith of Burrow Hill Farm, Corley. In 1912 they purchased it for £1475.

At some time in the later 20th century it was called the WINDMILL. It had closed by 2010.

Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.

Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).

Known Licensees at the GREEN MAN are;
1861 Josiah Harben publican and coal dealer
1879 - 1880 Isaac Smith
1892 Mrs. Maria Benson
1899 John Harper
1900 Thomas Underwood
1901 Henry Woodhouse
1904 - 1924 (see beerhouse below)
1907? - 1940 William Walden (junior)
1955 - 1962 George Pearson (1960 with A. E. Whitaker)

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1904 Henry Woodhouse
1905 Thomas Clarke
1908 - 1924 William Walden

Owners;
to 1912 J. Smith
from 1912 Phillips and Marriott

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.