title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Grange Hotel

photo
NAME GRANGE HOTEL
ADDRESS ALFALL ROAD
Originally in Middle English, a grange meant a granary or barn and it came to mean an outlying farm with tithe barns belonging to a monastery or feudal lord. Wyken Grange Farm stood in the vicinity and was demolished in the 1930's to make way for a housing estate. The pub opened on 12th May 1937 and took the name, The Grange, from the farm.

In 1979 it was described as 'a very popular pub with a large basic bar with a cosy lounge'. Now it is all one big L-shaped room. At one time it was a multi-roomed pub, each room having its own colour. The piano was in the gold room with gold wicker chairs; there was a blue room and the gents' toilets with wood panelling constituted the brown room.
Known Licensees are;
1939 - 1940 M. J. Watts
1967 - 1971 Arthur Ingram
1971 - 1989 Pete Gilbert

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.