title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Granby Arms

photo

Spon Street 1910 and the unveiling of the Martyrs' Memorial. The cross was unveiled by the Mayor on 15 September 1910, at a ceremony conducted by F. M. Brodie, the Vicar of Christ Church and in the presence of nearly one thousand people.

The Coventry martyrs were burned at the stake between 1510-1555 on a site in Little Park Street. From the fourteenth century the midlands became a focus of the religious revival associated with John Wycliffe and the Lollards. The Lollards were regarded by the church authorities as heretical, and in the Act of 1401, De heretico comburendo, condemned convicted Lollards to be burnt to death. Between 1512 and 1522 nine Lollards were burnt at the stake in Coventry, having been found guilty of teaching their children English versions of the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments and the Apostles' Creed.

It can now be found on the island above the Coventry Ring Road at the junction of New Union Street and Quinton Road.

NAME GRANBY ARMS
ADDRESS SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
c1829 1868 VICTORIA VAULTS
1868 1871 BOARD, 75 Spon Street
1874 SPOTTED DOG
1879 1909 MELBOURNE HOTEL, MELBOURNE GARDENS
1909 1910 GRANBY ARMS
1910 2002 BOWLING GREEN INN
2002 2010 NEW BOWLER
John Manners (1721 - 1770), Marquis of Granby, is honoured in a great many pub names because he set up so many of his own men as tavern-keepers when they left the army. He himself was Colonel of the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards by 1758 and commander-in-chief of the British Army in 1766. So why was this pub named the Granby for just a short while 140 years later?

This pub is said to have been built originally in c1829 as the Victoria Vaults, then becoming the Spotted Dog. the Board in 1868. Melborne Hotel in 1879, and the Melbourne Gardens in 1907. It became the Granby Arms in 1909. Later it was named the Bowling Green in 1910.

The grass bowling green was sold and the old people's accommodation called Wellington Gardens was erected on its site. The pub was demolished and replaced with a new building in 1959, later named the New Bowler in 2002.
Known Licensees are;
1909 E. Duggan

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.