title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Golden Lion


Images from the Trinity Lodge website

1755 1835 GOLDEN LION
1835 1841 BEERHOUSE, 9 Bull Ring
1841 1935 GOLDEN LION

The Golden Lion is a popular sign, referring heraldically to Henry I or to the Percys, Dukes of Northumberland.

In 1756 seven soldiers were billeted here. In 1755 The Golden Lion was the meeting place of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire (Masons) and again in both 1773 and 1785.

The pub was demolished in 1934 in order to make way for Trinity Street. The cellar of a monastery building was found during its demolition.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1835 - 1841 David Burrows

Known Licensees at the GOLDEN LION are;
1822 - 1841 David ( Richard ) Burrows
1841 - 1851 John Shillcock
1861 - 1868 Thomas Goode
1871 Thomas H. Beecroft
1874 - 1876 David Smith
1879 - 1894 James Hegan
1896 Frank Morgan
1903 - 1905 William Lamb
1909 - 1913 R. McGregor
1919 - 1934 Leonard Beaver
1935 - 1936 R. Spicer

+ -
Click here to see Research

Doct PN A popular sign referring heraldically, to Henry I, or the dukes of Northumberland, the Percys.


1773 Lee Website Meeting place of Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire
1785 ( Masons ).

1756 Alderman Hewitt 7 soldiers billeted

1835 See BEERHOUSE, 9 Bull Ring

1874 JA34 White At the Golden Lion, Ironmonger Row, there is a fine and valuable collection of British and foreign birds, animals and insects etc. Mr D. Smith is the proprietor, who is also a dealer in and preserver of all knds of British and foreign birds etc.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 GOLDEN LION, Ironmonger Row Alehouse
Owner : William Odell, Bishop Street
later Samuel Lynes
later Ind Coope & CO, Burton on Trent
Licensee : James Hegan
27.2.1896 TOL to Frank Morgan
? TOL to James Lindon
22.6.1899 TOL to William Lamb

1900 Cov AIW Photo 40

Ind Coope

c 26.7.1934 HOH P37 Cellar of monastery building found on demolition c 26.7.1934

c1935 COCIP P106 Photo

An earlier picture facing north in happier times ( before 1935 ). Golden Lion at end of photograph.

1935 JA34 Demolished


1822/23 Pigot D. Burrows

1828/29 Pigot Richd Burrows

1841 Pigot David Burrows

1841 Census David Burrows 50 yo b Wks m Elizabeth, 45 & 4 kids

1845 Kelly J. H. Shilicock

1850 CS John Shillcock

1851 Census John Shillcock 43 yo b Lei m Sarah, 42 & 5s, 2d

1861 Census Thomas Goode 44 yo b Flecknoe m Lucy, 42 & 1s, 1d

1868 Buchanan T. Goode

23.11.1868 Lantern Thomas Goode

1871 Census Thomas H. Beecroft 63 yo B Castle Bolton, Lincs widower

1874 C&B D. Smith [ & 1s, 1d, 1 servant

1876 Kelly David Smith
1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 James Hegan
1879 Stevens James Hegan

1881 C&B James Hegan

1886 C&B James Hegan

1890/91 R&G James Hegan

1893 Reporter James Hegan

1894 R&G James Hegan
1896 LJ Vol 1 P23 James Hegan
1896 LJ Vol 1 P23 Frank Morgan
1896 R&G Frank Morgan
? LJ Vol 1 P23 James Lindon
1899 LJ Vol 1 P23 William Lamb
1903 R&G William Lamb

1905 R&G William Lamb

1909 R&G R. McGregor

1911/12 Spennell R. McGregor

1912/13 Spennell R. McGregor

1919 Spennell Leonard Beaver

1921/22 Spennell Leonard Beaver

1924 P. James Leonard Beaver

1926/27 P. James Leonard Beaver

1933/34 P. James Leonard Beaver

1935/36 P. James R. Spicer


1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 William Odell, Bishop Street
later LJ Vol 1 P23 Samuel Lynes
later LJ Vol 1 P23 Ind Coope & CO, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol 1 P23 Ind Coope & CO, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.