title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Golden Horse

photo
NAME GOLDEN HORSE
ADDRESS PALACE YARD, EARL STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1426 1426 BELL
1471 1670 LE CROWN, CROWN ( High Street / Broadgate / Earl Street )
1779 1779 BELL AND CROWN
1756 1824 GOLDEN HORSE INN ( Bayley Lane )
1828 1841 GOLDEN HORSE ( Earl Street )

I have no idea about this name, which seems most popular in Coventry.

In c1907 Mary Dormer Harris wrote. ' What a medley of humanity have found entertainment in the courtyard and under the gables of that old Stuart house that falls daily into greater decay. There was the casual wayfarer, for it was once an inn bearing the sign of the ' Golden Horse ', in proof whereof may be seen the board behind the door under the archway giving all kinds of coaching information. Lastly a king and courtiers, and many of the Royal Blood of the House of Stuart on sundry occassions, partook of the hospitality of the Hopkins family, who held the house for more than two hundred years....and the noise of a factory mounts up from the place where in times past was a pleasant garden ground '.

In 'Local Memoranda Cuttings from the Coventry Times' it is said of Palace Yard that 'the mansion continued in the Hopkins family....until 1822, when it was sold. The house has since been used successively as a school, an inn bearing the sign of the Golden Horse, and of late years as a builder's yard, and a portion let out as offices'. This may be the same premises as the CROWN INN, High Street.

In 1822 J. Quiney ran the Golden Horse in Bayley Lane. That cannot have been the same premises as the Golden Horse in Earl Street because Bayley Lane is on the opposite side of Earl Street. We can only surmise that when the Bayley Lane Golden Horse closed Mr Quinney took the name and his customers to new premises in Earl Street.

See also GOLDEN HORSE Bayley Lane

Known Licensees are;
1828 Joseph Quiney
1835 - 1841 John Lloyd

link to previous pub link to next pub

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images are been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.