|ADDRESS||35 BISHOP STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||MISFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS ALSO KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity.
In 1787 an auction was held at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it is thought to have become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40
|Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1835 John Dunn
1841 John Ensor
1845 S. Cater junior
1850 William Jennings & well sinker
1861 William Whitehall
1868 John White
1870 Joseph Smith
1871 William Burton
Dict PN This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past probably because it was such a simple visual symbol. it appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity.
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
10.6.1870 JA119 CH&O Transfer of license from Joseph Smith to William Barlow
1874 JA69 Wilson Whites Directory shows a THREE HORSESHOES in Bishop Street at 40, not 35. W. Barlow, victualler and blacksmith.
1822/23 Pigot J. Dunn
1828/29 Pigot Joseph Dunn
1835 Pigot John Dunn
1841 Pigot John Ensor
1845 Kelly S. Cater junior
1850 CS William Jennings & well sinker
1850 JA69 Lascelles William Jennings
1861 Census William Whitehall
23.11.1868 Lantern John White
1870 JA119 CH&O Joseph Smith
1870 JA119 CH&O William Barlow
1871 Census William Burton ( pub not named, just 40 Bishop Street )
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.