Smithford Street celebrations for the coronation of George V in 1911
|ADDRESS||56 SMITHFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|c1800||1868||LORD NELSON, NELSON|
|1845||1925||GODIVA, GODIVA INN|
Lady Godiva was the wife of Leofric, Earl of mercia, in the eleventh century. The story goes that Leofric was being severe on his tenants, which distressed his wife. She asked him to remove his impositions and he agreed to do so - on condition that she rode naked through the streets of the city. She did so and Leofric kept his word.
This pub carries this name in direcories from 1881 to 1891
Licensees (to be confirmed)
1892 - 1913 J. Laxon, 2 Bath Terrace, Holyhead Road, Coventry
1913 Phillips and Marriotts
to 1910 JA Lady Godiva
4.4.1913 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 6000
CS 5 Photo
Slaughterhouse to rear
1928 Police License removed to Maudsley hotel
Robin Hood, Cox Street, closed in consideration of removal of Empire Vaults.
c1930 CWL P11 Photo
1911/12 Spennell Thomas Phipps
28.8.1912 P&M PR Alfred Hurst
1912/13 Spennell A. Hurst
1919 Spennell Alfred Hurst
18.9.1919 P&M PR Alfred Hurst new agreement
1921/22 Spennell Alfred Hurst
23.5.1922 P&M PR John Leeson manager
1924 P. James J. Leeson
1926/27 P. James W. E. Morley
1929 P. James W. E Morley
1931/32 P. James Licensee not named
No 56 = Cash & Co, boot dealers
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.