title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The George

photo

Gosford Street 1924

NAME GEORGE
ADDRESS NEAR GOSFORD BARS
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES NEAR GOSFORD BARS, OUTSIDE GOSFORD GATE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1563 1650 SAINT GEORGE
1650 1781 GEORGE
1828 1855 GEORGE AND DRAGON
This name originally referred to St. George, the patron saint of England (though he is often coupled with the dragon). Since 1714, George has been a kingly name in England, six different kings having borne it.

In 1563 see SAINT GEORGE. The pub is then mentioned in a document of 1625, lately occupied by J. Bailiss, now held by W. Hopkins, gent. In 1650 it was occupied by Jane Hopkins, widow. No doubt she was the widow of W. Hopkins. In 1680 it was let to Richard Hopkins and in 1725 is referred to as the former George Inn, yet it is then mentioned in 1756 and 1781 before becoming the George and Dragon.

Known Licensees at the SAINT GEORGE are;
1625 W. Hopkins
1650 Jane Hopkins

Known Licensees at the GEORGE & DRAGON are;
1828 - 1829 Samuel Adkins
1829 - 1835 William Beaumont
1841 - 1845 Thomas Cole

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.