title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The George and Dragon

photo
NAME GEORGE AND DRAGON
ADDRESS FAR GOSFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1563 1650 SAINT GEORGE
1650 1781 GEORGE
1828 1855 GEORGE AND DRAGON
This name originally referred to St. George, the patron saint of England (though he is often coupled with the dragon). Since 1714, George has been a kingly name in England, six different kings having borne it.

In 1829 Wheatleys Charity records that William Beaumont was the tenant at will of a messuage, yard and premises in Far Gosford Street now the George and Dragon public house. In 1853 the pub was for sale. It had closed by 1865 as, in a list of estates belonging to Bablake School at that date, there is a tenement in Far Gosford Street formerly called the George and Dragon public house. There is a possibility that at some time it was called the St George Inn. Previously the property was known as the Saint George or simply the George.

Known Licensees at the SAINT GEORGE are;
1625 W. Hopkins
1650 Jane Hopkins

Known Licensees at the GEORGE & DRAGON are;
1828 - 1829 Samuel Adkins
1829 - 1835 William Beaumont
1841 - 1845 Thomas Cole

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.