title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The General Wolfe

photo
NAME GENERAL WOLFE
ALTERNATIVE NAMES  
ADDRESS FOLESHILL ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES OLD LEICESTER ROAD, THE HEATH
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1793 1859 GENERAL WOLFE
1859 1862 TRAVELLERS' REST
1862 2010 GENERAL WOLFE
James Wolfe (1727 - 1759) commanded the expedition against Quebec. He forced an open battle with the French under Montcalm on the Heights of Abraham, winning a victory that was decisive in giving New France to England. Both he and Montcalm were killed in the battle.

This pub is first rcorded in 1793 when auctions were held there. At this time it was a cottage pub. Between 1859 and 1862 it was renamed the TRAVELLERS' REST.

The pub was rebuilt c 1895 in a grand style. According to the 'Buildings of Coventry' by George Demidowicz, it is a 'close and detailed study of the Tudor-Jacobean style with richly decorated triangular and Dutch gables, an octagonal corner turret and dome, two-storey bay windows and finely sculpted classical doorways'. Interestingly Mr Demidowicz states that 'Terracotta....was not used extensively in Coventry'. I wonder if that is so or if the majority of the terraccotta buildings in Coventry disappeared with the blitz and redevelopement?

In the 1950s, the Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes used to meet at "the Wolfe"

In the 1970's under Ken Brown's residency it was the venue for serious music lovers hosting such bands as U2, The Eurythmics and Robert Plant.

In 2011 the pub closed and became an Indian restaurant called Mushtaq's. This was closed by environmental health officials in 2012 when their demands to improve standards were not met. One of its owners, Abbar Jan, was found to have four previous convictions for food hygene offences in Birmingham and had been banned from having any involvement in the running of a food business. It will open again as Toro’s Steakhouse in the summer of 2015
Known Licensees for the GENERAL WOLFE are;
1835 Joseph Adcock
1841 Edward Elton
1850 - 1868 Thomas Jones
1874 - 1880 Richard Green & shoemaker
1888 - 1900 William Carpenter
1903 - 1913 Elijah Strong
1919 Frank Garner
1921 - 1922 Elijah Strong
1921 - 1936 A. C. Marden ( or Maiden )
1937 - 1940 P. Weston
photo
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.