title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Freemasons Arms

photo
NAME FREEMASONS ARMS
ALTERNATIVE NAMES FREEMANS ARMS
ADDRESS 237 HARNALL LANE WEST
The original freemasons were stone masons in medaeval Europe who operated a closed shop system. They used secret signs to exclude what would now be called cowboy builders. In modern times the freemasons are members of a fraternal society that does a certain amount of charitable work.

This was part of the FREEMASONS TAVERN premises. Rather oddly between 1919 and 1940 the premises had two licenses, although the licensee was usually the same person. Presumably the pub was split into two seperate premises? Can anyone explain this strange set of circumstances? In 1929 the Directory mistakenly gives the name as FREEMANS ARMS.
Known Licensees are;
1919 William Benbow
1921 - 1924 A. Cave
1926 - 1932 H. S. Remington
1933 - 1940 R. H. Marshall

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.