title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Fountain

photo
NAME FOUNTAIN
ADDRESS 30 SPON STREET

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
? 1850 FOUNTAIN
1850 1912 MECHANICS ARMS
This sign can be heraldic, referring to the Crest of the Plumber's Company and also the badge of the Master Mariners, or it can refer to a nearby spring or well. Before piped water was a part of everyday life such natural sources of water were of great importance. In Coventry this may well refer to the city's conduits.

In 1868 this pub was renamed the MECHANICS ARMS
Known Licensees are;
1850 - 1851 John ( or Joseph ) Taylor
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.