title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Fountain


photo

St Mary's Guildhall and the Cathedral

NAME FOUNTAIN
ADDRESS Next to St. Mary's Guildhall
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1523 (1438?) CYRCOCKS TAVERN, SYRCOCKS TAVERN
1716 FOUNTAIN
In 1523 this property was given to Thomas White by William Cook or Coke, Cole, Cole ). Cook was a merchant of this city and also of the Staple of Calais. In a rental of Guilds and Charities of 1716 reference is made to the Fountain, by the gaol, formerly Syrcock's Tavern

clipping

From " An Account of the Many and Great Loans, Benefactions & Charities, Belonging to the City of Coventry:
To which is Annexed a Copy of the Decretal Order of the Court of Chancery, Relating to the Memorable Charity of Sir Thomas White" by Dr. Edward Jackson, the head master of the Free Grammar School.

Sir Thomas White was elected Lord Mayor of London in 1553. He was knighted in the same year by Queen Mary I. He was a member of the commission for the trial of Lady Jane Grey.. He was the founder of St. John's College, Oxford, and used his prosperity as a clothworker to benefit nearly thirty cities and towns throughout England in at least some of which his trade had probably been particularly extensive. One such town was Coventry which, to rescue it from its 'great ruin and decay', he enabled by a gift of £1,400 to buy in 1542 a large amount of former priory property in and near the town.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.