title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Foleshill Old Hall

photo
An 1883 engraving (by J.F. Jackson?) of the Old Hall before it became a pub
NAME FOLESHILL OLD HALL
ALTERNATIVE NAMES FOLESHILL HALL, OLDE HALL HOTEL, YE OLDE HALL HOTEL
ADDRESS LYTHALLS LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES FOLESHILL HALL LANE c1887
This name is purely descriptive. Foleshill Hall stood opposite Foleshill Hall Farm on Lythalls Lane. The oldest part of the building was said to date from around 1700, though there were suggestions that the west side was considerably older.

It was the home of the Riley family in the early twentieth century ( as far as we can ascertain there is no connection between these Rileys and the Riley family that owned the nearby car factory ). In 1914 it was purchased by Phillips and Marriotts for £1383. This was their response to the reform movement which encouraged brewers to open pubs with the atmosphere of country houses or country clubs and close down 'redundant' drinking dens in more central areas. Phillips and Marriotts also bought the Barras House at much the same time. In 1916 the license of the Horse and Jockey in Hawkesbury and the Shoulder of Mutton in Walsgrave were surrendered for Foleshill Old Hall.

From British History Online: "The oldest part of the present 'Foleshill Olde Hall' public house is the east or garden front which dates from c.1700 and is of red brick with stone quoins and dressings. The central doorway has a contemporary stone surround and the windows were formerly of the mullioned and transomed type. A drawing of 1883 suggests that the west side of the building may have been considerably older. The house was later almost entirely rebuilt and internally its only ancient feature is an early-17th-century oak staircase which has been re-set. The present west front dates from 1915 when the building was converted into a public house. In 1887 Foleshill Hall Farm was still in existence on the north side of Lythall's (then Foleshill Hall) Lane, but the whole area must have been much altered in 1850 by the construction of the railway which runs within 50 yards of the old hall."

Foleshill Old Hall became part of Coventry in the boundary extension of 1928.There were a number of variants of the name over the years. I prefer to stick to the version it had after the Second World War. In 1983 it was described as 'a large pub with many rooms and good beer'. In 1989 it was demolished to make way for Phoenix Way, in what seems a particularly crude piece of vandalism. I always thought it was such a fascinating place. Google Earth shows the site as still undeveloped. In fact there doesn't appear to be any good reason for the Hall to have been demolished in the first place.
photo
The hall was originally a manor house and continued to be the centre of a small estate until its conversion into a pub during the First World War. The first landlord, Henry Sutton, took over what was to be known as “Foleshill Olde Hall” pub and hotel in February 1917.
photo
The Old Hall in the mid-1920's with then Licensee Percy Lewis

Coventry Standard newspaper article from 23rd March 1962
Known Licensees are;
1917 - ? Henry Sutton - Foleshill Hall
c1926 - Percy Lewis tbc
1928 - 1932 William Phillip Parker -Old Hall Hotel
1932 - 1938 John Henry (Harry) Ward - Old Hall Hotel (see also Crow in the Oak, Foleshill, the Bell, Keresley and Castle Vaults, Broadgate)
1938 - 1939 Thomas Victor King - Ye Old Hall Hotel
1939 - 1942 Albert George Maisey
1942 - 1944 Gertrude Maisey
1944 - 1950 Henry Clewlow
1950 Walter Henry Clewlow
1950 - 1961 Henry Walker - Foleshill Old Hall
1961 onwards Charles Henry Frost (Ye Olde Hall, see clipping above)
OWNERS
to 1914 Riley family
1914 - 1924 Phillips and Marriott, Coventry
1924 - 1956 Bass Ratcliffe & Gretton Ltd, Burton on Trent
photo
Ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'Super D' No 8892 is seen shunting at Three Spires Junction with the main Coventry to Nuneaton line behind the locomotive. You can just make out the Old Hall with the 'Bass' logo top left of the photo.

Big thanks to Mary Cheadle and "The Dutchman" from the Historic Coventry website and forum for photos and some of the written content of this page.
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

c1800 CSubs P67 Drawing of Foleshill Hall in Lythalls Lane, as it appeared around 1800

P67 What was known as Foleshill Hall stood opposite Foleshill Hall Farm in Lythalls Lane. It became a public house in 1915. The oldest part of the building dated to about 1700, but it is said that a drawing from 1883 suggested that the west side of the hall was considerably older. When the hall was refurbished the staircase, said to date from the early 17th century, was reused. The Old Hall was recently pulled down during the building of a new bypass

P68 A late 19th century drawing of Foleshill Hall in Lythalls Lane

HH P11 Remembered as the home of the Riley family said to have owned most of Holbrooks earlier this century ( twentieth ).

24.9.1914 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 1383 from William Luke Riley

? P&M PR Drains for Foleshill Hall - L&NW Railway paid 20/- yearly

7.1916 P&M PR License of Horse and Jockey, Hawkesbury, Coventry & Shoulder of Mutton, Walsgrave, surrendered for Foleshill Old Hall

1.4.1928 Nos 215 to 236 inclusive taken over on boundary extension
6.2.1929 LJ Vol 4 P45 YE OLD HALL, Lythalls Lane Publican's license
Owner : Bass Ratcliff & Gretton
Licensees : William Phillip Parker
23.5.1932 John Henry Ward
20.6.1938 Thomas Victor King
2.10.1939 Albert George Maisey
4.2.1942 Gertrude Maisey

4.2.1942 LJ Vol 5 P48 OLD HALL, Lythalls Lane Publicans
Owner : Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton-on-Trent
5.2.1947 renewal of license
11.2.1948
9.2.1949
8.2.1950
7.2.1951
Licensees : Gertrude Maisey
15.5.1944 Henry Clewlow
8.5.1950 Walter Henry Clewlow
13.11.1950 Henry Walker
24.2.1949 Certificate of ( Structural Safety ) and ( Safe and good condition of electrical installations ) received
1.1.1945 Music & dancing Concert Room
Music only Smoke Room

16.2.1952 LJ Vol 6 P48 OLD HALL, Lythalls Lane Publicans, Music & Dancing
Owner : Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton on Trent
6.2.1952
6.2.1953
5.2.1954
4.2.1955
1956
Licensees : 13.11.1950 Henry Walker
24.2.1949 Certificate of ( Structural Safety ) and ( Safe and good condition of electrical installations ) received 22.2.1955

23.3.1962 Citypubs 74 Ye Olde Hall

1977 WRAG 1

1979 WRAG 2 Local pub with many rooms and good beer

1983 WRAG 3 A large pub with many rooms and good beer

1989 HH P26 Dismantled for phase 1 of Phoenix Way

LICENSEES

? P&M PR Harvey Sutton Foleshill Hall
1928 LJ Vol 4 P45 William Phillip Parker
1929 P. James W. P. Parker Old Hall Hotel

1931/32 P. James W. P. Parker Old Hall Hotel
1932 LJ Vol 4 P45 William Phillip Parker
1932 LJ Vol 4 P45 John Henry Ward
1933/34 P. James J. H. Ward Old Hall Hotel

? Citypubs 43 J. H. ( Harry ) Ward Old Hall Hotel

1935/36 P. James J. H. Ward Old Hall Hotel

1937/38 P. James J. H. Ward Old Hall Hotel
1938 LJ Vol 4 P45 John Henry Ward
1938 LJ Vol 4 P45 Thomas Victor King
1939/40 P. James T. V. King Ye Old Hall Hotel
1939 LJ Vol 4 P45 Thomas Victor King
1939 LJ Vol 4 P45 Albert George Maisey
1942 LJ Vol 4 P45 Albert George Maisey
1942 LJ Vol 4 P45 Gertrude Maisey
1942 LJ Vol 5 P48 Gertrude Maisey
1944 LJ Vol 5 P48 Gertrude Maisey
1944 LJ Vol 5 P48 Henry Clewlow
1950 LJ Vol 5 P48 Henry Clewlow
1950 LJ Vol 5 P48 Walter Henry Clewlow
1950 LJ Vol 5 P48 Henry Walker
1950 LJ Vol 6 P48 Henry Walker
1951 LJ Vol 5 P48 Henry Walker
1956 LJ Vol 6 P48 Henry Walker
1957 Barrett Henry Walker Foleshill Old Hall ( Hotel )

1960 Barrett H. Walker Foleshill Old Hall ( Hotel )

1961 Barrett H. Walker Foleshill Old Hall ( Hotel )

1966 Barrett

OWNERS

to 1914 P&M PR Riley family
from 1914 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott
1928 LJ Vol 4 P45 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton
1942 LJ Vol 4 P45 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton
1942 LJ Vol 5 P48 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton-on-Trent
1952 LJ Vol 5 P48 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton-on-Trent
1952 LJ Vol 6 P48 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton on Trent
1956 LJ Vol 6 P48 Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.