title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Fleur de Lys and Spirit Vaults

photo
NAME FLEUR DE LYS
ADDRESS 43/48 SMITHFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1570 1750 CROSS KEYS, Smithford Street
1671 BLACK HORSE
1756 FLOWER DE LUCE AND CROWN, High Street
1795 1926 FLEUR DE LYS, Smithford Street
1822 1823 CROWN AND FLEUR DE LIS
1835 1835 BEERHOUSE
This name is literally 'lilly flower', but a heraldic lilly rather than a real one. It occurs in the royal arms of France and is thus a symbol of France in a general way. When Edward III assumed the title of 'King of France' the device was incorporated into English coats of arms, where it has remained. As a pub name it makes a fairly vague reference to royalty.

This pub dates to the eighteenth century and in 1820 was leased by the trustees of the Vicar Lane Meeting House to Richard Dunn. In 1835 it was a BEERHOUSE. In 1885 it was purchased by Phillips and Marriott for £1062.10s.0d and in 1899 they valued it at £1800. On 12th August 1926 it was closed in consideration of permission being given to remove and rebuild the Bulls Head on the Binley Road.
Known Licensees are;
1729 William Perkins
1820 Richard Dunn
1832 - 1861 John Bailey
1861 - 1868 Mrs Harriett Bailey
1871 - 1874 John Scampton
1879 John Wilcox Oswin
1881 E. B. Twycross
1886 R. Yardley
1890 - 1894 C. Brown
1896 Elizabeth A. Brown
1902 William Sargent Thrasher
1902 George William Roots
1903 H. H. Archer
1904 - 1912 John J. Franklin
1912 - 1922 Thomas Fletcher
1822 - 1823 John Davies
1924 - 1927 L. T. Jacques
1835 John Bailey
Owners;
1820 John Freeman Taylor, Thomas Horsfall, Richard henson Tilt, Edward Hall, William Newsome, Richard Horsfall, William Brown and Thomas Adcock, the survivng trustees of the Vicar Lane Meeting
1896 William & Emma Brain of Oxford
1896 - 1899 Phillips & Marriott
Map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Literally ' lilly flower ', but a heraldic lilly rather than a real one. Its origin may have been an iris, or the top of a sceptre or battle- axe. It occurs in the royal arms of France and is thus symbolic of France in a general way. When Edward III assumed the title of ' King of France ' the device was incorporated into English coats of arms, where it has since remained. As a pub name it makes a fairly vague reference to royalty.

See CROSS KEYS, CROWN AND FLEUR DE LIS

c1800 COC P40 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem

1820 JA PA1184/65/16 Lease of public house in Smithford Street previously called the CROSS KEYS then the FLEUR DE LIS by John Freeman Taylor, Thomas Horsfall, Richard Henson Tilt, Edward Hall, William Newsome, Richard Horsfall, William Brown and Thomas Adcock, the survivng trustees of the Vicar Lane Meeting to Richard Dunn.

1835 See BEERHOUSE, Smithford Street

24.9.1847 JA For sale

Licensee John Bailey

1.10.1847 JA CH&O To be auctioned

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P42 FLEUR DE LIS, Smithford Street Alehouse
Owner : Herbert Beasley, Cherry Street, Coventry
later Francis Phillips and Walter Henry Marriott, Coventry
Licensee : John Scampton
7.11.1878 TOL to John Wilcox Oswin
6.5.1879 TOL to Edward Benjamin Twycross
15.3.1883 TOL to John Dunnicliff
17.1.1884 TOL to Frederick Davy
6.11.1884 TOL to Arthur Joseph Hudson
5.11.1885 TOL to Richard Yardley
22.4.1886 TOL to John Dunnicliff
1.12.1887 TOL to Charles Brown
14.5.1896 TOL to Elizabeth Annie Brown
20.11.1897 TOL to George Pearson
13.4.1899 TOL to Abel Hulm

30.10.1885 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 1062.10s. 0d

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for & 800 from William & Emma Brain of Oxford

30.9.1899 P&M PR Value £ 1800

CS5 Photo

Phillips & Marriott. Lessee T. Jaques

1926 Police Closed in consideration of permission given to remove and rebuild the Bulls Head, Binley Road

12.8.1926 Closed

LICENSEES

1820 JA PA1184/65/16 Richard Dunn.

1832 JA53 John Bailey

1841 Census John Bailey 39 yo b Wks & 4 others

1841 Pigot John Bailey

1845 Kelly J. Bailey

24.9.1847 JA John Bailey

1850 CS John Bailey [ m Harriet, 39

1851 Census John Bailey 49 yo licensed victualler employing 2 b Harborough

1861 Census Harriet Bailey 50 yo b Coventry widow & 1 servant, 1 neice,

1868 Buchanan Mrs H. Bailey [ 1 nephew

23.11.1868 Lantern Harriet Bailey

1871 Census John Scampton innkeeper b Coventry m Elizabeth, 28 & 2 servants

1874 C&B J. Scampton
1878 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Scampton
1878 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Wilcox Oswin
1879 Stevens John Wilcox Oswin

1879 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Wilcox Oswin
1879 LJ Vol 1 P42 Edward Benjamin Twycross
1881 C&B E. B. Twycross

1883 LJ Vol 1 P42 Edward Benjamin Twycross
1883 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol 1 P42 Frederick Davy
1884 LJ Vol 1 P42 Arthur Joseph Hudson
1885 LJ Vol 1 P42 Arthur Joseph Hudson
1885 LJ Vol 1 P42 Richard Yardley
1886 C&B E. Yardley

1886 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Dunnicliff
1887 LJ Vol 1 P42 John Dunnicliff
1887 LJ Vol 1 P42 Charles Brown
1890/91 R&G C. Brown

1893 Reporter C. Brown

1894 R&G C. Brown
1896 LJ Vol 1 P42 Charles Brown
1896 LJ Vol 1 P42 Elizabeth Annie Brown
1896 R&G Elizabeth A. Brown
1897 LJ Vol 1 P42 Elizabeth Annie Brown
1897 LJ Vol 1 P42 George Pearson
1899 LJ Vol 1 P42 George Pearson
1899 LJ Vol 1 P42 Abel Hulm
13.3.1902 P&M PR William Sargent Thrasher

18.7.1902 P&M PR George William Roots

1903 R&G H. H. Archer

9.3.1904 P&M PR John J. Franklin rent free for 12 months

1905 R&G J. J. Franklin

1909 R&G J. J. Franklin

1.6.1910 P&M PR John J. Franklin new agreement

1911/12 Spennell J. J. Franklin

1912/13 Spennell J. J. Franklin

27.8.1912 P&M PR Thomas Fletcher

1921/22 Spennell Thomas Fletcher

1924 P. James L. T. Jacques

1926/27 P. James L. T. Jacques

OWNERS

1820 JA PA1184/65/16 John Freeman Taylor, Thomas Horsfall, Richard Henson Tilt, Edward Hall, William Newsome, Richard Horsfall, William Brown and Thomas Adcock, the survivng trustees of the Vicar Lane Meeting.
1878 LJ Vol 1 P42 Herbert Beasley, Cherry Street, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P42 Francis Phillips and Walter Henry Marriott, Coventry
31.10.1885 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 William & Emma Brain of Oxford

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 Phillips & Marriott
1898 LJ Vol 1 P42 Francis Phillips and Walter Henry Marriott, Coventry
30.9.1899 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.