title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Fire Engine

NAME FIRE ENGINE
ADDRESS 21 BOND STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1850 1863 CASTLE INN
1863 FIRE ENGINE
1863 1868 GODIVA
The Coventry Standard of 6.2.1863 carried an advertisement for ' all that substantially built property in Bond Street, consisting of the licensed public house lately known as the Castle, and now the Fire Engine, very conveniently arranged.'

This had become a butcher's shop by 1874

Known Licensees at the CASTLE are;
1850 Benjamin Sheppard
1855 C. Lockington
1858 Thomas Elton
1861 George Cooper
1861 Mr Dykes

Known Licensees at the GODIVA are;
1866 - 1868 Joseph Baker

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.