|NAME||ELEPHANT AND CASTLE|
|ADDRESS||23 CASTLE STREET, HILLFIELDS|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||HIGH STREET, HILLFIELDS|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1829||1841||ELEPHANT AND CASTLE|
|1879||1965||ELEPHANT AND CASTLE|
The name comes from Coventry's coat of arms.
In 1829 the Elephant and Castle appears in a list of new pubs.To 1841 this was a BEERHOUSE. From 1868 to 1879 it was known as the CASTLE. The pub closed c1965, when it was an Atkinsons pub. It stood next to the Castle Stores.
Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
Known Licensees at the CASTLE are;
Known Licensees at the ELEPHANT & CASTLE are;
Owner : Henry Dalton, Castle Street, Coventry
later Walter William Neale
Licensee Richard Charnock
1.5.1879 TOL to Joseph Ashley
11.8.1881 TOL to Herbert Mayo
2.12.1886 TOL to John Dunicliff
245.5.1888 TOL to Thomas Whitmore Bates
3.1.1896 TOl to Thomas Bates
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.