title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Elephant and Castle

photo

The Elephant and Castle at the original Tusses Bridge in 1925 advertising Salts & Co Burton Ales

NAME ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
ADDRESS 445 ALDERMANS GREEN ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES TUSSES BRIDGE, ALDERMANS GREEN, HAWKESBURY LANE

The name comes from Coventry's coat of arms.

The firstmention of this pub is in 1844, when the Cumberland Lodge of Oddfellows was established here

In 1910 this pub was advertising Salts & Co beers from Burton on Trent

In 1935 & 36 It was 'under new management. Noted for Bass ales and choice wines and spirits.'

In 1937 & 38 'Noted for Bass's ales and choice wines and spirits. garages to let.'

In 1939 & 40 as above 'and parking for cars.'

In 1982 it described as 'a very pleasant canalside pub with good beer.' Then in 1991 it was sold to Charles Wells, the Bedford brewers.

Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.

Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).

newspaper clipping
photo
Known Licensees are;
1845 - 1861 Jeremiah Reynolds
1863 - 1866 Thomas Reynolds and farmer
1868 Mrs Sarah Reynolds
1874 - 1880 Jeremiah Reynolds
1892 Joseph Leadbeater
1900 John Baker
1929 - 1932 W. Hilton
1933 - 1934 T. Hammersley
1935 - 1940 W. H. Sephton (see notes)
1941 onwards Mrs Sephton (widow)
1960's Ronald Sephton (see above)
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.