title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Elephant and Castle

photo
NAME ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
ADDRESS ST JOHNS BRIDGES (THE BURGES)
The name comes from Coventry's coat of arms. In 1708 the Elephant and Castle on the eastern side of St. John's Bridge is leased. In 1724 the rental of school land and tenements shows a rental of £2 for a tenament called the Elephant and Castle in St Johns Bridges. In 1756, five soldiers were billeted here. The last mention is in 1774 when Coventry Corporation leases the pub to Thomas Dakin
Licensees
c1708 Daniel Bates
1724 Edward Rawson
1738 John Smith, farrier
c1759 Thomas Thornett
c1759 - 1774 Thomas Snell
Owners
1774 Coventry Corporation

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.