|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||EARLSDON COTTAGE INN|
|ADDRESS||24 WARWICK STREET|
|Plot No. 131 Warwick Street was purchased by Joseph Aston Atkins on 10 May 1852. He was the son of a weaver and was a watch motioner by trade. It was another three years before he built his house on the plot. He built a double fronted cottage with a living room on one side of the front door and the parlour on the other, with two bedrooms above. The kitchen was at the back with his workshop above this. The privy (there were no flush toilets in Earlsdon for another 50 years) was at the bottom of the garden. Joseph converted the house into a pub in about 1867, the name simply described the pub. It must have been a good pub in those days. He died only some four years later on 21 November 1871.
His wife, Eliza, married a neighbour, George Harper (who spelt his name Harpur) of Arden Street. He took over the license and moved in with his four sons and one daughter. The Cottage stayed in the family until it was sold in 1901 for £2000 to Bishop and Bates, Wine and Spirit Merchants of Coventry. In 1924 they sold it to James Eadie, Brewers of Burton on Trent and the pub was extended and refurbished. A smoke room was built on the side and Joseph's workshop upstairs became a concert room.
There followed a succession of tenant licensees. In the twenties the inn was kept by George Chaplin, a former fullback and captain of Coventry City Football Club. There has been a stream of interesting licensees over the years, who have all put their own individual stamp on the pub, such as William Clews who was a first class runner. He was at the Cottage for 28 years until 1957. Another former licensee was Reg Nott and Beattie who started live music concerts on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The extended Earlsdon Cottage and Reg Nott
|In the later 20th century it became a well known music venue. There was live music seven nights a week, with jazz on Mondays and Thursdays and a free-and-easy session the rest of the week. I well remember Wal Haydon's renditions of 'Delilah' and 'Red Feathers', shouting at the top of his voice was what he called singing: also Speedy's musical gut was a sight to see!
Wally wouldn't have any coin-operated machines in his pub so there was no jukebox or fruit machine. He wouldn't even have a 'johnny' machine in the gents and kept them in a jar behind the bar, labelled 'sporting goods'. Wally's ability to make Draught Bass presentable was legendary in the pub trade, the stuff is notoriously difficult to condition. He was previously the landlord of the Coombe Abbey Inn in Craven Street but moved to Earlsdon in 1967 after the nearby Four Provinces was granted a license.
In the 1990's it became an M&B managed house with a succession of managers and a popular venue for its Free & Easy and rock bands - who remembers 'Mister Bridger' on a Sunday afternoon?
In 2006 the Cottage was extensively 'renovated' to be 'relaunched London style', as a 'champagne and piano bar', by the then licensees, Steve and Ian Carvell. A newsletter was released entitled the 'Earlsdon Cottage News'. In this modest publication Steve and Ian Carvell refered to themselves 40 times. Not the shy and retiring types, then.
As of the beginning of 2015 following court proceedings by the Council regarding excessive noise, the Cottage is now closed for business following a gradual scaling down of operations and opening times over the last few years.
The lease is now for sale. We'll see what the future holds for this old establishment.
|Known Licensees are;
c1867 - 1871 Joseph Atkins
1871 - 1888 George Harper
1893 C. Harper
1894 Alfred C. Harper
1896 Mrs Caroline Harper
1903 - 1905 George T. Hatchett
1909 Joseph Haycocks
1911 - 1913 T. E. Hands
1919 - 1922 W. H. Clews
1923 - 1925 George Chaplin
1926 - 1927 G. C. Skidmore
1931 - 1957 W. A. Clews
1957 - 1962 Reginald Nott (see above and Bulls Head, Bishop Street)
1967 - 1982 Wally Haydon (see below and previously Coombe Abbey Inn, Craven Street)
David Foster (see also Painted Lady, Longfellow Road)
Raymond Uveitis, aka Evitts (see also Royal Oak, Earlsdon)
2006 Steve and Ian Carvell
1868 - 1871 Joseph Atkins
1871 - 1888 George Harper
1888 - 1895 Alfred Harper & Caroline Harper
1895 - 1901 Caroline Harper
1901 - 1924 Bishop & Bates
1924 - James Eadie
Name Purely descriptive
1852 on News 2-52 Plot No131 Warwick Street was purchased by Joseph Aston Atkins, ( Echo 3.2006 ) aged 28 years, on 10 May 1852. Joseph was the son of a weaver and had been apprenticed to Rotherhams as a watch motioner
In 1852 Joseph could not afford to build a house on the plot of land he had purchased; that had to wait another three years when, with the help of a mortgage, he did build a house. he built adoublefronted cottage with the living room on one side of the front door and the parlour on the other side with two bedrooms above on the first floor. The kitchen was at the back with an earthenware sink and cold water tap. Over the kitchen was Joseph's workshop ...... the privy was at the bottom of the garden. Joseph converted the house into a pub in about 1867. But within about four years he died of a ' softening of the brain' on 21 November 1871. His wife, Eliza, married anear neighbour, george Harper of Arden Street, within a few months. George took over the license and moved into the Cottage with his four sons and one daughter. The double front cottage must gave seemed somewhat crowded at times with seven people living there. The Earlsdon Cottgae remained in the family until it was eventually sold in 1901 to Bishop & Bates, Wine and Spirit merchants of Coventry for £ 2000. The Earlsdon Cottage was sold again in 1924 to James Eadie Ltd, Burton brewers and was extended and refurbished. A smoke room was built on the side and Joseph's workshop became a concert room.
1863/66 Citypubs 28 Opened between 1863 and 1866. A Bass house
1871 CSubsP56 The Earlsdon Cottage Inn's first landlord was Joseph Aston Atkins, a watch motioner by trade who decided shotly before the 1871 census to turn his house, which he built in 1855, into a pub.
1886 Pubscrawl 18 Built
1887 COC P53 Cov Times Inn signs
9.11.1890 LJ Vol 1 P60 EARLSDON COTTAGE, Earlsdon Alehouse
Owner : Eliza Harper, Earlsdon
later Caroline Harper
Licensee : Alfred Charles Harper
16.5.1895 TOL to Caroline Harper
27.10.1898 TOL to George Thomas Hatchitt
c1907 E&CE P15 Photo
Fortunately for the drinkers who were residentanother house on the opposite side of the street had been converted into a public house, the Earlsdon Cottage.
P67 The third pub to open in Earlsdon, 10 years after the Royal Oakand City Arms.
c1911 P68 Photo
1925 Heritage P33 Upon purchase by James Eadie Ltd the smoke room wasbuilton the side, the interior refurbished and Joseph Atkins top shop converted to a concertroom. re-opened 1925 lookingvery much as it does today.
1979 WRAG2 Busy, good quality drinkers pub. Well worth a visit. Live music, garden suitable for children.
1982 WRAG3 Busy, very popular pub. Live musicmost nights including good jazz. Well worth a visit as it seems to be how pubs used to be in the early 1900's
1982 Pubscrawl 18 There's live music seven nights a week in the back room. Jazz on Mondays and Thursdays and free-and-easy evey other night.
With its flock wallpaper, wrought iron table-legs and beautifully etched windows, the room can't have changed much since the Warwick Street pub was buiult in 1886.
Wal Haydon sings with considerable feeling, ricking backwards and forwards in his open toed sandals and investing an innocuous song such as ' Underneath the Arches ' with enough power to make Bud Flanaghan sit up and take notice
There's a lethal brew called Highgate Old Ale which lurks manacingly in a barrel on the bar. It sells at 66p a pint, but you really ought to drink it in smaller quantities.
2006 News 2-51 A planning application has been submitted by local businessman Steve Carvell, for extensions and alterations to the ground floor and the conversion of the first floor into a restaurant. Several internal walls on the ground floor are to be removed, to create an open bar lounge area. The many original internal features of the building will be retained and enhanced and a large conservatory erected in the garden backing on to the boundary wall to the Earlsdon Business Centre.
The existing lounge smoke room will retain much of its present appearance although part of the wall adjacent to the bar room will be removed. The wall dividing the bar room and the music room will also be removed to create one large open plan area, and the bar relocated down the side at right angles to its present position ......... the downstairs bar area will continue to be a traditional community pub, coffee and food will also be served along with traditional pulled ales. There will be bare floorboards, magnolia walls and furniture to complement the building.
2006 News 2-53 ' The Earlsdon Cottage ' is relaunched in London style ' Ambitious father and son business duo Steve and Ian Carvell ......... £ 1 million facelift of the Earlsdon Cottage ......... a champaign and piano bar.
In this publicity for the new Ear;lsdon Cottage Steve and Ian Carvell refer to themselves 40 times - there's nothing like being modest !
1868 Buchanan Joseph Atkins
1871 Census Joseph Atkins
11.1871 News 2-52 Joseph Atkins dies
1874 C&B George Harpur married Eliza, widow of Joseph Atkins
1879 Stevens George Harpur
1881 C&B George Harpur
1886 C&B George Harpur
1888 George Harpur dies
1890 LJ Vol 1 P60 Alfred Charles Harper
1893 Reporter C. Harper
1894 R&G Alfred C. Harper
1895 LJ Vol 1 P60 Alfred Charles Harper
1895 LJ Vol 1 P60 Caroline Harper
1896 R&G Mrs Caroline Harper
1895 LJ Vol 1 P60 Caroline Harper
1898 LJ Vol 1 P60 George Thomas Hatchitt
1903 R&G George T. Hatchett
1904 R&G George T. Hatchett
1909 R&G Joseph Haycocks
1911/12 Spennell T. E. Hands
1912/13 Spennell T. E. Hands
1919 Spennell W. H. Clews
1921/22 Spennell W. H. Clews
1923 Citypubs 28 George Chaplin
1924 P.James Licensee not named
1925 Citypubs 28 George Chaplin
1926/27 P. James G. C. Skidmore
1931/32 P. James W. A. Clews
1933/34 P. James W. A. Clews
1935/36 P. James W. A. Clews
1937/38 P. James W. A. Clews
1939/40 P. James W. A. Clews
1957 Citypubs 28 W. A. Clews
1957 Citypubs 28 Reginald Nott
1962 Citypubs 28 Reginald Nott
1962 Pubscrawl 18 Wally Haydon
1982 Pubscrawl 18 Wally Haydon
1868 News 2-52 Joseph Atkins
1871 News 2-52 Joseph Atkins dies
1871 News 2-52 Liza Atkins, widow of Joseph Atkins
1871 News 2-52 George Harper ( marries Liza Atkins )
1888 News 2-52 George Harper
1888 News 2-52 Alfred & Caroline Harper
1890 LJ Vol 1 P60 Eliza Harper, Earlsdon This looks wrong
1895 News 2-52 Alfred & Caroline Harper. Alfred dies
1895 News 2-52 Caroline Harper
later LJ Vol 1 P60 Caroline Harper
1898 LJ Vol 1 P60 Caroline Harper
1901 News 2-52 Caroline Harper
1901 News 2-52 Bishop & Bates of Coventry, Wine & Spirit Merchants
1924 News 2-52 Bishop & Bates of Coventry, Wine & Spirit Merchants
1924 News 2-52 James Eadie Ltd, Burton on Treny
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.