Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
The Eagle vaults
The bottom of Burges in 1927, with Well Street in the distance viewed from Hale Street, here showing buildings before the demolition for the new Corporation Street in 1931. The Unicorn occupied the building here shown as W.H. Crofts on the left, and the building on the corner was the Wine Lodge, formerly the Eagle Vaults. See the 1888 town planning map below
1 WELL STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
The eagle ia a christian and heraldic symbol and has been used as a pub sign since the fifteenth century. It is used to decorate church lecterns because it is a symbol of St John the Evangelist. As a national symbol it represents such countries as the USA, Germany or Russia.
This premises became the Wine Lodge around 1878 and was demolished to make way for the new Corporation Street c1931.
A new building, the same one we see today also named the Wine Lodge took its place and carried the name until 1968 when it became the Tally Ho.