title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Eagle Wine and Spirits Vaults

photo
NAME EAGLE WINE AND SPIRITS VAULTS
ADDRESS 48 SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1850 SPON STREET BREWERY & LIQUOR VAULTS
1861 1868 BOARD, 48 Spon Street
1871 1929 EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS
The eagle is a christian and heraldic symbol and has been used as a pub sign since the fifteenth century. It is used to decorate church lecterns because it is a symbol of St John the Evangelist. As a national symbol it represents such countries as the USA, Germany or Russia.

In 1840 this was the Spon Street brewery. Later it became a wine merchants, known as the BOARD until 1868.

It closed in 1929 upon the payment of compensation and the premises became two businesses, Smiths Dining Rooms and the Rapid Boot Service
Known Licensees are;
1868 Edward John Hollins
1871 Maria Brown
1874 Tom Powell
1879 - 1881 Mrs Ellen Elizabeth Powell
1886 W. R. Taylor
1890 - 1905 S. Yeaomans
1909 F. H. Makepeace
1911 - 1912 Thomas Broughton
1912 - 1913 William Anstee
1919 - 1929 Walter James Kenney
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN A christian and heraldic symbol, the eagle has been used as a pub sign since the fifteenth century. It was used to decorate church lecterns because it is a symbol of St John the Evangelist. As a national symbol it suggests such countries as the USA, Germany or Russia

to 1868 See BOARD

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 EAGLE VAULTS, Spon Street Alehouse
Owner : J. L. T. Newsome, watch manufacturer, Spon St
later Samuel Yeomans, watch manufacturer, Moseley Terrace, Coundon Road
Licensee : Ellen Eliza Powell
6.8.1885 :TOL to William Robert Taylor
19.4.1888 TOL to Samuel Yeomans

Spon P29 In 1840 No 48 was the Spon Street Brewery. Later it became a wine merchants sometimes known as another Board Vaults but more populalry known as the Eagle Vaults. When it closed c1929 it became two establishments, Smiths Dining Rooms and the Rapid Boot Service.

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

1929 Police Closed on payment of compensation

1929 Closed

LICENSEES

1871 Census Maria Brown 38 yo b - widow & 1d, 1s-i-l, 1gs

1874 C&B Tom Powell
1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 Ellen Eliza Powell
1879 Stevens Mrs Elizabeth Powell

1881 C&B Ellen Eliza Powell
1885 LJ Vol 1 P36 Ellen Eliza Powell
1885 LJ Vol 1 P36 William Robert Taylor
1886 C&B W. R. Taylor
1888 LJ Vol 1 P36 William Robert Taylor
1888 LJ Vol 1 P36 Samuel Yeomans
1890/91 R&G S. Yeomans

1893 Reporter S. Yeomans

1894 R&G S. Yeomans

1896 R&G S. Yeomans
1898 LJ Vol 1 P36 Samuel Yeomans
1903 R&G S. Yeomans

1905 R&G S. Yeomans

1909 R&G F. H. Makepeace

1911/12 Spennell Thomas Broughton

1912/13 Spennell William Anstee

1919 Spennell Walter James Kenney

1921/22 Spennell Walter James Kenney

1924 P. James Walter James Kenney

1926/27 P. James Walter James Kenney

1929 P. James Walter James Kenney

1931/32 P. James Licensee not named

{ Robins & Son, boot repairers

48 { Yeomans, S. & Son, Motor accessories & watch manufacturers

{ Lewis, E., grocery

1933/34 P. James 48 Yeomans, S. & Son, Motor accessories & watch manufacturers

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 J. L. T. Newsome, watch manufacturer, Spon St
later LJ Vol 1 P36 Samuel Yeomans, watch manufacturer, Moseley Terrace, Coundon Road
1898 LJ Vol 1 P36 Samuel Yeomans, watch manufacturer, Moseley Terrace, Coundon Road

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.