title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dyers Arms

photo

Spon Arches 1929

NAME DYERS ARMS
ADDRESS 152 SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1759 THREE JOLLY DYERS, JOLLY DYERS
1822 1917 DYERS ARMS
The dyers conducted their trade in Spon End, using water from the River Sherbourne, which enters the city here from the west. Here they dyed 'Coventry Blue' cloth.

This pub at 152 Spon Street is not to be confused with the Old Dyers Arms at 4 Spon End. In 1850 it was used for an inquest into a suicide an in 1917 it closed and became a shop.
Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 J. Cook
1841 Joseph Beech
1845 - 1851 Edward Walmsley
1861 - 1871 Thomas North
1874 J. Jelly
1879 - 1881 John Nicklin
1886 A. Nicklin
1890 - 1891 F. North
1893 - 1909 Thomas Essex
1911 - 1912 Frederick Grazier
1912 - 1913 James Guise
map


+ -
Click here to see Research

Name The dyers conducted their trade in Spon End, using water from the River Sherbourne, which enters the city here, from the west. here they dyed ' Coventry Blue ' cloth.

1759 JA See THREE JOLLY DYERS

1.1850 FDSDC P84 John Bowen committed suicide. The inquest took place at the Dyers Arms in Spon Street, which at that time was under the landlordship of a Mr Walmsley.

Spon P87 No 152 was the Dyers Arms, not to be confused with the Old Dyers Arms in Spon End, and the earliest reference to it is 1812. By 1917 it had ceased to be a pub and became in turn Horseman - dairy, British Empire Meat Co and Bramley - cooked meat dealer.

Spon P88 Photo of Dyers Arms Yard

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

7.10.1859 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Elizabeth Walmsley to Thomas North

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P33 DYERS ARMS, Spon Street Alehouse
Owner : Edward Walmsley, 12 Staughton Terrace, Long Moor St, Birmingham
later Atkinsons Lomited, Cox Street
Licensee : John Nicklin
26.4.1883 TOL to Ann Nicklin
11.11.1886 TOL to Frederick North
30.7.1891 TOL to Thomas Essex

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

1914 Source 62 William Henry ( Billy ) Yates had been captain of Coventry City Football Team.

19.2.1917 Closed

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot J. Cook Dyers Arms, Spon Street

1841 Pigot Joseph Beech

1845 Kelly E. Walmsley

1850 FDSDC P84 Mr Walmsley

1850 CS Edward Walmsley

1851 Census Edward Walmsley
1859 JA141 CS Elizabeth Walmsley

1859 JA141 CS Thomas North

1861 Census Thomas North 31 yo b Allesley m Ann, 27 & 1s, 1 sister, 1 servant

1868 Buchanan T. North

23.11.1868 Lantern Thomas North

1871 Census Thomas North 39 yo b Allesley m Ann, 35 & 1s, 1 d, 1 servant

1874 C&B J. Jelly
1878 LJ Vol1 P33 John Nicklin
1879 Stevens John Nicklin

1881 C&B John Nicklin
1883 LJ Vol1 P33 John Nicklin
1883 LJ Vol1 P33 Ann Nicklin
1886 C&B A. Nicklin
1886 LJ Vol1 P33 Ann Nicklin
1886 LJ Vol1 P33 Frederick North
1890/91 R&G F. North
1891 LJ Vol1 P33 Frederick North
1891 LJ Vol1 P33 Thomas Essex
1893 Reporter Thomas Essex

1894 R&G T. Essex

1896 R&G T. Essex
1898 LJ Vol1 P33 Thomas Essex
1903 R&G T. Essex

1905 R&G T. Essex

1909 R&G T. Essex

1911/12 Spennell Frederick Grazier

1912/13 Spennell James Guise

1914 Source 62 William Henry ( Billy ) Yates

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P33 Edward Walmsley, 12 Staughton Terrace, Long Moor St, Birmingham
later LJ Vol1 P33 Atkinsons Limited, Cox Street
1898 LJ Vol1 P33 Atkinsons Limited, Cox Street

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.