title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Duke of Argyll

gosford street

Gosford Street 1924

NAME DUKE OF ARGYLL
ALTERNATIVE NAMES ARGYLL'S HEAD
ADDRESS GOSFORD STREET

The Duke of Argyll is a title, created in the Peerage of Scotland in 1701 and in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in 1892. The Earls, Marquesses, and Dukes of Argyll were for several centuries among the most powerful, if not the most powerful, noble family in Scotland. As such, they played a major role in Scottish history throughout the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.. They were Campbells and in 1871 one of the family married Princess Louise, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. He succeeded his father as 9th Duke of Argyll in 1900.

In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. In 1799 it is for sale, when it is refered to as the Argyll's Head. Did it close then ?

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.