title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dolphin

NAME DOLPHIN
ADDRESS SHERIFF AVENUE
The dolphin was looked upon by ancient seamen as a friendly creature who would help them in a storm by twining itself around the anchor cable. This would prevent the anchor from dragging and secure the safety of the ship. With such a reputation it is not surprising the Dolphin became a much used ship name, being used by the Royal navy from 1648 to present. A dolphin also figures in many coats of arms, especially those of the Fishmonger's Company and the Company of Watermen and Lightermen.

The license of the Dolphin in Cross Cheaping was transferred here after the Second World War . In 1941 this was a temperory hut, but in 1948 the present building opened in Templar's Fields. It closed in November 2012
Known Licensees are;
1950 - 1960 Basil Benn (see also Live and Let Live 1960 onwards and Fox and Vivian, Gosford Street 1948 - 50)

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.