title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dog


The Spotted Dog, 12-13 Bull Ring. Image from the Trinity Lodge website

1704 DOG, Butcher Row
1802 c1822 CHICKEN, Bull Ring
c1822 1841 DOG, Butcher Row
1841 1934 SPOTTED DOG, Butcher Row/12-13 Bull Ring, YE OLDE SPOTTED DOG
This is a common pub name, usually a reference to hunting.

The gate house through which access was gained to the precincts of the monastery, the Cathedral and priory stood on this site until being pulled down in 1704 by workmen working for Mrs Cave King. The council issued an order for Mrs King to give financial restitution and to rebuild the 'stone arch leading to Priory Court'. After some litigation the ground was sold to Mrs King and the Dog erected on the site.

Here in 1424 the council ordered the making of a bull ring so that nearby butchers could bait bulls before slaughter. The Bull Ring suffered the same fate as Butcher Row, i.e. it is now under Trinity Street.

The Spotted Dog was 12 and 13 Bull Ring, where it joined Butcher Row - one of a row of small properties between Priory Row and New Buildings. In 1929 the license of the Spotted Dog was moved, with that of the White Swan, Hill Street, tp premises to be erected on Beech Tree Avenue, that is the Newlands Hotel.

In 1806 The premises was the meeting place of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire (Freemasons)

There is a record that the CHICKEN, Bull Ring changed to the DOG, Butcher Row in 1822

The pub closed in 1930 and was demolished in 1934 in order for the new wide thoroughfare of Trinity Street to replace Butcher Row. During the demolition the west archway of the first Coventry Cathedral was uncovered.

The small properties, including the Spotted Dog, were all replaced by one large black and white building. This was designed to match the old cottages in Priory Row. the English oak for the framework came from Harborough Magna and woodcarving was by Louis and Maurice Harvard from France. Although the exterior was completed in 1938/39, the interior was not fitted out until ten years later due to the war. For many years it was Samuels the jewelers and Timothy Whites chemists, then in 1999 it became Wetherspoon's Flying Standard.

Known Licensees at the DOG are;
1828 - 1829 Richard Evans

Known Licensees at the SPOTTED DOG are;
1841 - 1851 Charles Sumner
1860 Mark Showell
1860 Charles Sumner junior
1868 - 1874 William Brennand tailor & publican
1879 Mrs Elizabeth Batey
1881 C. King
1886 J. Beesley
1890 - 1891 Matthew Moss
1894 James Greenway
1896 Thomas Harvey
1903 - 1919 Henry E. Taylor
1921 - 1924 A. G. Taylor
1926 - 1927 C. S. Coulson
1929 - 1932 A. G. Austin

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.