title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dog

photo

Bishop Street, towards the Burges 1905

NAME DOG
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1772 TALBOT
1774 DOG
1783 FORMIDABLE
1784 ? BOWLING GREEN
In March 1774 the Dog at the corner of Barrs Hill and St Nicholas Street is mentioned in the Coventry Mercury. Then in May the Dog above Bishop Street is mentioned when a bowling green is laid there. By 1783 it is refered to as the FORMIDABLE.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.