title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dog and Trumpet

photo
NAME DOG AND TRUMPET
ADDRESS HERTFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1976 PAINTED WAGON SALOON
1976 1977 BIER KELLAR
1977 2011 DOG AND TRUMPET
2011 BIER KELLAR
The dog and trimpet was the trade mark of HMV (His Master's Voice). The company was known as 'The Gramophone Company' until 1909, when it first made use of the famous picture showing a dog called Nipper, a fox terrier, listening to the voice of his master coming froma gramophone horn. The original painting by Francis Barraud hangs in the boardroom of EMI records

The pub changed from the Bier Kellar to the Dog and Trumpet in 1977 and in 2011 it reverted to its previous name.

In 1982 it was reported that it was once a free - house, now part of Arden Tavern's chain, with live music most nights. In 1985 it was 'an ex - beer kellar which now sells the largest range of real ales in Coventry. A large single bar with some good old photos on the walls. A disco most nights, it is better for drinking at lunchtimes'.
Known Licensees are;
1984 Ken Brown (see also at GENERAL WOLFE and BROWNS)

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.