title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Dog and Duck

photo
NAME DOG AND DUCK
ADDRESS BAYLEY LANE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1693 ROYAL EXCHANGE
1756 1770 DOG and DUCK
1770 1773 CROSS GUNS
1773 present GOLDEN CROSS
This name is a reference to duck hunting. In 1756 4 soldiers were billeted here. In1770 a Birmingham gunsmith acquired a public house at the corner of Bayley lane and Hay Lane called the Dog and Duck, which he renamed the CROSS GUNS. This later became the Golden Cross. In 1693 a document records the purchase of the ROYAL EXCHANGE which forms ' the Hay lane cornerhouse there with Bayley Lane ' which is probably the same property.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.